back to article Mobile dev toolkit biz Appcelerator gobbled up by Axway

Appcelerator, a company that provides tools for mobile software development, has been acquired by Axway, a provider of data integration tools and services based in San Jose, California. Founded in 2006, Appcelerator's main product is Titanium, which lets developers code in JavaScript and compile it for multiple platforms, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Titanium was quite good

... used to use it for mobile dev.

I gave up with it about 3 years ago because while it lets you do some stuff cross platform, there was just too much more that needed to be done for each platform you published to.

The end result was that it took just as much time as two native apps to make one with Titanium, but clients saw the words cross-platform and thought "half the cost".

I know people who did great cross-platform apps with it, but I wasn't going to bet the farm on single platform that just not improving very quickly, bugs in APIs didn't get fixed for ages... they were too focused on making an IDE to improve the core product.

2. roeltz
    Unhappy

They just took Aptana and turned it into a bloated mess. Their superb JavaScript editor, which autocompleted almost anything (it even recognized nested properties inside object literals in a closure) was replaced with something else that even failed to suggest basic DOM properties. Their excellent PHP plugin, which also had very good support for the then-new PHP 5.3, and provided complete inline documentation for built-in functions/consts (because, I will concede, PHP naming and parameter order conventions just don't exist), was replaced with PDT, which (still) sucks a lot. Even the Eclipse Monkey-based extensibility was swaped out with some Ruby-based garbage, for those fascists hipsters devs that think their favorite language should be thrusted upon everyone else's throats.

So, I hope they just die.

1. PassiveSmoking

Appcelerator is already a bloated mess, though, so they can't really make it much worse.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Axway?!

You mean the people who brought you their super reliable Secure Transport product?

I look forward to your new tools acquisition going the same way

4. PassiveSmoking

I hope the first thing Axway does is scrap the the Eclipse-based IDE that's an affront to all that's good and right in the world and replace it with one that actually works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon