back to article Computer sales not a matter of life and death, they're more important than that

Warmer business sentiments towards Windows 10, Intel’s latest chip architecture and stabilising currencies still won’t translate into swelling PC sales this year. The entrail pokers at Gartner have spoken, and while device shipments are tipped to grow 1.9 per cent in 2016 to 2.44bn units, it won’t be the classic computer that …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Go

stabilising currencies

That's a new one.

"This parrot is dead"

"No, no. It's just stabilizing"

“Business sentiment toward Windows 10 looks very good, because it is not just relevant to the device but the IT department in terms of bigger projects around cloud, security and mobility”

I hope people are not getting paid for emitting this nonsense.

2. Roger Greenwood

Small business here . . .

. . . and sticking with Win 7 because legacy programs, simplicity, training, compatibility. Of course we also still have Win 2000, NT and XP in use for specific purposes, why would I want to add another to the mix until I have to?

1. Charles 9

Re: Small business here . . .

How do you keep the EOL systems from getting pwned while still being useful for your business?

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: Small business here . . .

"How do you keep the EOL systems from getting pwned while still being useful for your business?"

Airgaps for 3,

no gui for 2 (custom screen),

firewall + careful user for 1,

prayer :)

2. Tom 13

Re: keep the EOL systems from getting pwned

Ultimate example:

Windows 95 box with one job: dedicated data collection for a 100 day* test on a pressure vessel. Hardware and software were custom made for the outfit by a company now long gone. Re-engineering the solution would be a million dollar project on a $50K test. So instead they kept around a lot of spare parts for the 9x box.

*Yeah, they can't actually run it the full 100 days because of that weird bug MS never fixed where the system locks up at one of those you've exhausted your bytes counts, but after they hit that the first time they learned to reboot the PC at the appropriate hour on day 50.

3. Ted's Toy

The customers have changed OS and computing platforms..

The customers have left the x86 based computing devices due to a dislike of the OS's available. Now computing devices are running anothrer cpu type and OS. The x86 club just don't get the message that customers disliked the OS's which were available for the x86 computing devices and found another device and software which suited their needs.

The same thing happened with the prepc typing and accounting devices. Also remember that once mail order was the retail giant it still is but now it no longer relies on the postal service or paper printed medium it is electronic., and the postal systems is being loosing it relevance as well.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: The customers have changed OS and computing platforms..

That doesn't make much sense. Some folks have left the PC platform because it's not as easy to put a laptop in your pocket. Has less/little to do with the software when the physical form factor is just not as mobile.

I think a big reason for the sales not being so big is that people don't need to replace PCs nearly as often. I am about to refresh my laptop for the first time in almost 6 years(bulk of my computing is done on this laptop as I type right now, I have multiple tablets that never get used anymore and my Note 3 phone is really only for pretty casual stuff).

I expect the new laptop to last at least 5 years. The other 2 PCs in my house are also at least 5 or 6 years old(with no need to replace anytime soon). Other computing devices - my Tivo Series 3 is going on 8 or 9 years old at this point(I have a series 4 that is newer too), no intention of replacing that anytime soon either. My 47" Phillips HDTV is the same age as my Tivo, no plans to replace that either. Only about 2 or 3 years ago I replaced a 11+ year old Tivo series 1(with the series 4). Series 1 still worked, just wanted HD.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like