back to article LastPass's password-shuffling rival Dashlane gets a makeover

Dashlane last week unveiled a cross-platform redesign and support for five new languages with a redesign of its password management tool. The revamp follows less than two weeks after LastPass refreshed its rival cloud-based password management software for the first time after its controversial purchase by LogMeIn back in …

1. 2460 Something

The biggest drawback would be Dashlane still doesn't support linux. It's nice to have some competition for LastPass but no point in jumping unless LogMeIn actually do something that requires it.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Inappropes!

That is figuratively the most tasteless image I've seen on a Register story.

*actually I'm just pissed because I used a clip from Molehunt as intro to an IT security class I gave a few years ago

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    WTF?

So close

No multi-device sync in the free version.

No central store, so if you lose your device/PC, your passwords are gone too.

Not sure about LastPass being bought out, but not $40 per year concerned to get the same functionality that's free in LastPass.

1. Sorry, handle already taken

Re: So close

Regarding the first two sentences/paragraphs, Dashlane (non free) gives multi-device sync, and also all data is stored "in the cloud" so safe if you lose a device for whatever reason. I guess this is where they may their money. I am a paid subscriber and am in my 3rd year I think. I love it. Does everything I need. I consider the free one to be nothing more than a taster.

4. Quortney Fortensplibe
    Alert

How is it on Mobile?

I've been a LastPass subscriber for a few years now and, the odd site aside, I can't really fault its performance on desktop.

However, on Android, it's a completely different kettle of haddock:

* Sometimes it logs me in without a problem

* Sometimes it mistakes random form fields on websites for password fields and throws up dialogues asking me which password I want to use for that field

* And, a lot of the time it just does nothing. Just sits in the background, scratching its digital arse while I click in and out of password fields and switch back and forward between my browser and LastPass, trying to spur it into action. Until, finally, I have to resort to copy/pasting my details from LastPass into the browser –which I could do with a bloody text file of my passwords and save myself the annual LastPass subscription.

If DashLane can make a better fist of it than that, I might give it a go.

Incidentally, the most user-friendly password manager I ever used was 1Password but [at least when I was using it] it was OSX and iOS only. So I had to find an alternative, when I got me some Android gadgets.

1. Richard Parkin

Re: How is it on Mobile?

1Password is available on Android now

5. Benny

Form over function

But still no (decent) YubiKey support, or HTTP Basic Auth support.

Minor things, but things that are available in Lastpass, and the only things stopping me jumping ship.

6. JCitizen
    Mushroom

I'm too lazy to check it out..

but does it encrypt all passwords on the hard drive and/or cloud? Does it synch between devices? Is it free? The GUI in the picture looks like a carbon copy of the new Lastpass 4.0 vault. The only reason I can think of going over to them is the fact that the password criminals haven't figured out how to spoof it like the did Lastpass with the new Lostpass phishing attack ( which was discovered by supposed whitehats that didn't mind publishing the details so all criminals could now figure out how to code the attack. BTW - Gee thanks guys!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon