back to article EU mobile roaming rules to save customers billions in bills

Mobile carriers are poised to see a significant hit to their bottom lines with the looming rollout of new rules on roaming charges. According to analysts with Juniper Research, the 2017 introduction of the EU ban on roaming charges will eliminate more than a quarter of roaming revenues. "Operator-billed mobile roaming …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Flame

Don't pity the poor carriers, loosing money from EU roaming charges. They'll make up the loss by jacking up non-EU roaming.

Don't believe me? The carriers are already decreasing EU roaming charges and increasing non-EU roaming charges.

You thought roaming chargers were expensive before? You ain't seen nothing yet!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

not all networks

are doing this. Some have no roaming charges in places like the USA, NZ, Oz etc already.

Frankly my £10.56/month gives me more minutes and data than many US $50/month plans.

2. andybnz12x

Feel at Home

you obviously arent aware of 3's Feel at Home roaming, plenty of non-EU destinations in there http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Feel at Home

Great idea but in reality useless in France with their roaming partners and too many restrictions on the data device you can use.

2. nigel 15

The rest of the world

Honestly the EU is always banging on about this. Fact is they've been dragging their feet. And have done nothing about the rest of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The rest of the world

The rest of the world is not the EU.

Or have I missed some ironic tone in your post.

2. Slx

As much as the EU and US would like their laws don't extend to the rest of the world. So, all they can do is regulate roaming charges within the EU.

What always surprised me is that very few of the operators ever attempted to seriously provide competition by using sister networks to eliminate roaming charges entirely. Vodafone Passport was a kind of half attempt at it.

There was the only operator I ever saw take that very seriously.

The likes of Orange, T-Mobile, Telefonica, Telia-Sonera and so on all owned networks in multiple EU countries and smaller operators could easily have formed a roaming alliance to facilitate their customers.

1. 96percentchimp

Or there's Three's Feel At Home, which is a bit random but extends your UK allowance to 25 countries around the world, including Spain, the USA and Australia. Although I seem to instinctively only travel to places which aren't included.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They'll make up the loss by jacking up non-EU roaming."

More likely they'll jack up all rates. Why stop at non-EU roaming?

1. SteveK

They'll also have some process where unless you pay extra (say, equivalent to the old roaming rates) the data rate will be so slow as to be virtually unusable. Certainly that's been my experience when abroad using the Three 'feel at home' 'free' roaming data - can almost watch the individual bits roll in. Fine for me checking email and looking up restaurant reviews mind.

Also I believe that the providers are allowed to impose a fair use limit. If so, I would imagine that to be set to .. ooh .. a generous 10Mb/day maybe? Hopefully you catch it and turn roaming data off before it kicks into the out-of-tariff data rates...

1. RonWheeler

3 in Spain

Worked pretty okay for me, given I was in a rural backwater. As a Spain regular, the 'feel at home' deal is the main reason I stick with them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They'll also have some process where unless you pay extra (say, equivalent to the old roaming rates) the data rate will be so slow as to be virtually unusable. Certainly that's been my experience when abroad using the Three 'feel at home' 'free' roaming data"

How do you pay Three extra for roaming in their free feel at home countries? Or are you saying the Three purposely make their roaming partners impose bandwidth speed limitations on their networks to Three customers just so you'll think that both Three and the local network are crap?

2. 96percentchimp

Because rates in the EU are subject to both national and European regulation.

4. skratbag

Come down to Aus, Telstra just jacked up almost all roaming charges anywhere. Not going to take a profit drop lying down are they :)

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Not a problem for long

Don't worry. We'll have the referendum soon and be out of the EU.

Then Vodafone will be free to shaft us again.

1. Jess

Re: Not a problem for long

It won't matter that Vodaphone will be able to shaft us again, because once all these countries with lots of sunshine and poor economies realise they can charge us for visas, it'll be back to Skegness and Margate for our holidays. (And all the mates I would be able to stay with will get sent back to Blighty anyway).

Oh well, was nice while it lasted.

5. Sirius Lee

Such a bean counter perspective

The problem with the thrust of the post and the report on which it purports to report is that it assumes the view that everything else will be the same only there will be a loss of revenue. A bean counter's perspective: change is always to be resisted because we lose.

Another perspective is that things will not remain the same and people will increase their use of mobile phones. I would not and never have used my mobile outside the UK except in exceptional circumstances because of the additional costs, costs I can avoid with only modest effort (finding a WiFi point for example). If people like me know there will be no further charges for the privilege of making mobile call while in another EU member state, traffic may increase, perhaps to a level that compensates for the loss of roaming charges.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Such a bean counter perspective

"...traffic may increase, perhaps to a level that compensates for the loss of roaming charges"

Isn't it pretty rare for most people to go over their free allowance anyway? If so then any extra traffic will cost the networks extra, not increase revenue.

6. abedarts

Three works in france

Three's Feel at Home works fine for me in France. They don't allow tethering but otherwise I always find a partner network with good service.

A good alternative is to buy a local sim when you travel, but as there are many 4G bands UK phones usually won't provide 4G service in the USA, China etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like