back to article Tintri shrinks its all-flash entry-level to $125K door-opener

Tintri has added an entry-level all-flash array to its range, with an updated OS and predictive analytics functions are coming to model capacity and performance trends. The company has three hybrid flash/disk arrays and, now, three all-flash arrays, the newest one being the T5040. These arrays are managed by VM administrators …

1. Jon Massey

$125k

Would buy you a hell of a lot more than 5.76TB of whitebox flash storage (couple of 2U boxes stuffed with NVMe flash and plenty of RAM, easily) - is their sauce really special enough to justify that cost?

1. Storage Ed

Re: $125k

If you have to ask then you don't know tech. Either that or you work for Goldman Sachs or the NSA and you have the chops to engineer proper whitebox storage. I'm betting not.

2. Marc 25

£82k for 5TB of AFA is a touch on the expensive side isn't it? I guess thats book price but even with 20 points off, thats gonna be hard for people to swallow.

Additionally i don't understand how that capacity table works.

Effective Capacity of 18TB on AFA runs 1500 VMs

however Effective capacity of 23TB on Hybrid runs 750 vms

err...can someone explain?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

The capacity table is probably some combination of capacity and performance.

I can get VMs with larger storage requirements on a hybrid, but there are limits to how many VMs the hybrid can serve from a performance standpoint. Similarly I can got lots and lots of VMs onto AFAs from a performance standpoint, but only if they're smallish.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The key is performance/high availability for serious storage player

For white box, if you can get the same. Definitely no storage arrays from those vendors.

Also easy management, support , and features -- though most vendors claim they have

all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon