back to article Google in 24-hour cloud brownout

Google is suffering a cloud cockup, and hasn't been able to fix it for more than 24 hours. At 14:28 PST on December 2nd, the web giant reported an incident that meant “task queue processing for Google App Engine applications is slower than expected.” At the time of that incident report, Google said “current data indicates …

1. Notas Badoff
    Flame

Responsible language?

"For everyone who is affected, we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.”

I *hate* this! Given there are people affected then the true acknowledgement would be

"For everyone who is affected, we apologize for every inconvenience you are experiencing.”

Customer pain turns to bile and hatred when you won't acknowledge their pain. Is that so hard to understand? This statement makes nobody feel good except management.

2. DryBones
    Pint

And....?

So... it's running a little slower than expected for some and they're working on it? That's got to be one of the least-expected apologies I've ever seen. Like, something that it seems many barely mention. Dunno, just seems non-story.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately

A new OpenSSL vulnerability has been reported.

Google is spending some GAE/GCE time brute forcing before patching is effective.

Wish I was joking. :(

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

First we had Office 365 cloud problems not this

All we need now is big AWS outage and what price cloud provider shares then eh?

And yet IT departments all over the place are rushing headlong into Cloud deployments of critical systems with more of a wing and a prayer than a sound business reason.

How long will these businesses last if their cloud provider goes off line for days at a time?

What price their business continuity insurance then? (What? They don't have BC Insurance?)

5. batfastad

Same

Cloud is great, means we don't have to peg it over to a datacentre at Bumf*ck Technology Park at 3am.

The fail comes when people think it's magically more than just a bunch of Dells in a datacentre.

If it's critical to your business and you have it running out of a single site/provider (cloud or not), and you complain when it falls down, then frankly you're an idiot.

Likewise if you've locked yourself in to a proprietary PaaS in a cloud which fails, then wind your neck in and don't complain to me.

Having said that >24hr outage is pretty spectacular... Brownout indeed!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is cloud computing supposed to run non-disruptively?

Seems Google cloud is far behind Enterprise's high availability system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like