back to article All hail Firefox Dev Edition 44 – animations, memory and all

When Mozilla released the first Firefox Developer Edition there wasn't much difference from the regular Firefox release, but all that changed recently. Firefox DE 44, delivered in early November, packs in a wealth of new features and improvements, particularly for anyone working with HTML5 and CSS3 animation. The Developer …

1. DaLo

In my new voluntary el reg sub-editor role

To download the aforementioned browser click here -> https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/developer/.

You're welcome.

1. Quortney Fortensplibe
      Thumb Up

Re: In my new voluntary el reg sub-editor role

Thanks.

I'd be interested to know how you came up with the revolutionary idea that linking to the item being discussed in an article might benefit the readership of said article.

Was a long and extensive period of market research required?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's great but...

I've been using FF Dev Edition since it existed as a nice separation between "Home" and "Work" and the dev tools are nice. I don't need many of them (I hope I'll never need to deal with animations) but I've always preferred the Firefox dev tools to Chrome.

The main problem I've had is some extensions (such as LiveReload) not upgrading quickly enough to stop the warnings about unsigned add-ons, so I have to turn off the whole warning system and can't just give exceptions to the one or two extensions.

I've also just noticed that Firefox will deprecate Tab Groups, which is proper poo since I find that really useful.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: It's great but...

So they made tab groups undiscoverable unless the user knows that they need to fish the right icon out of customisation and put it on the toolbar. Now hardly anybody uses it, it's gone because metrics.

Same donkeys in charge of the user interface as ever, I see.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same donkeys in charge of the user interface as ever, I see.

Still the UI could be a lot, lot worse, couldn't it? Not mentioning any particular Redmond-based company, by way of example.

2. Fatman
        Joke

<quote>Same donkeys in charge of the user interface as ever, I see.</quote>

Do you mean those """donkeys""" that came up with 'Australis'?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seems Mozilla can't win. Add features, and they're accused of "bloat". Remove features that next to nobody uses, and all three people in the world who do use that feature will kick up an unholy stink. Impleent a feature similar to Chrome, and they're accused of "just copying Chrome". Fail to implement that feature, and it's "Chrome does that, why doesn't Firefox?".

Maybe those who don't like Firefox could, you know, go and use another browser? Quietly?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I think people do like using Firefox, which is exactly why there are complaints.

4. phil dude
        WTF?

@Dan55. THANK YOU for your explanation, I had wondered why such ludicrous decisions were being made!

Icon for the state of FF jumping the shark...

P.

2. stonk

Might I suggest "Tabs Group Helper". It works with the latest FF Dev (I'm using it now)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/tab-groups-helper/?src=api

1. eldakka

or tree style tab: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

3. Quortney Fortensplibe
      Unhappy

LastPAss extension seems to freeze it completely, requiring a force quit.

Which, given the number of websites which require some kind of login these days, makes it pretty unusable for me.

3. JonnyBravo

from from pah hold on comma a minute?

yup, it's monday alright

1. sabroni Silver badge

There's a "send corrections" link at the top of the comments.

4. Graham Triggs

It's not websites that are the memory problem, but Firefox itself.

5. wolfetone Silver badge

All well and good

But when are they going to fix the way Firefox uses the computers memory? Like in the way that it can use well over 1GB with just three tabs open in a day when developing sites?

Aside from that, it is a lovely browser to use for the development. But it's a pain in the backside having to restart it mid dev session.

1. Forget It
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: All well and good

try switching from AdBlock+ to uBlock

that halve the footprint for me

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All well and good

You do know you can clear your cache anytime you want?

6. Quortney Fortensplibe
    Paris Hilton

An Eejit Writes...

For some reason the very existence of this version of FF seems to have passed me by. This is the first I've heard of it.

Could someone explain what the difference is between this and 'normal' FF? Reading the article, it seems to be pretty much just describing the Web Developer Tools which are in 'normal' FF anyway.

[Off to download it now and check it out for myself, but would appreciate the info, just in case I can't spot anything different]

7. s. pam Silver badge
    FAIL

Isn't FF a painful orifice tool?

FF, pah humbug. Rubbish SW.

Deleted from all our systems for FF's owners sins.

End of transmission.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Isn't FF a painful orifice tool?

Meanwhile, on a nearby Star Destroyer:

"Yes Sir, we have captured this peculiar emission as the interloper jumped back into Hyperspace. Analysis reveals that the message has no inherent meaning. We are probably in presence of a Mark II Base Artificial Intelligence going stark raving bonkers due to extensive decay of the interwave positronic connections. Yes Sir. We recommend to disregard this particular bogey."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon