back to article NewEgg cracks open Australian shipping scheme

Components and kit retailer NewEgg has fried up an Australian delicacy. The company's previously shipped to Australia from offshore locations but has decided the glamour of air and/or sea travel isn't all it's cracked up to be. As have its customers, who apparently resent shipping costs a bit. The site has therefore addressed …

1. -tim

They appear cheaper

Local pickup will often beat a better price but New Egg was 25% cheaper on the collection of parts I recently obtained from Scroptec. MSY tends to be a slightly cheaper that Scorptec but with a more volatile range of more bleeding edge parts which make using them for "standard builds" more difficult. Scorptec also offers companies 30 day terms which increase the connivence factor. With both of them having major warehouses walking distance away from my office, I don't see Newegg taking much of our business.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: They appear cheaper

"Standard builds"? WTF are you doing at a retailer if you are building in volume? You should be talking to a disty if you're buying volume, Mate.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Damn and blast

I only just built a new gaming machine, but was unable to find the specific motherboard I wanted in Australia and had to settle for something else. Now Newegg has it! If only I'd waited.

Still looks like international shipping though?

3. Paul J Turner

Bit of a worry

I see that Returns for SSDs seem to be limited to 15 days or so. Is that allowed now in Australia or is this the first dilution of consumer's right since the TPP? Warranties look like being with the manufacturer perhaps. Some clarification would be nice.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: Bit of a worry

Nah, its just ignorance and hurbis. Its pretty common for US companies to try these things on when they open up OS (I'm looking at you, Apple). They'll probably get away with it for a few months until the complaints to the ACCC result in a nasty letter then they'll quietly drop their returns policy.

As for manufacturers' warranties, they only get away with what you let them. Retailers are required by law to replace or refund here, they cannot legally duck their responsibilities so don't let them.

4. Shane 4

More competition is good!

Only use two local suppliers, It's either Scorptec or PC Case Gear when I buy parts, Another option same price or cheaper would be nice, Also might help on availability when some parts are in short supply

5. davidddd

Umart still cheaper?

I just checked hard drive pricing and for $185 Umart will sell you a 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 drive compared to $218 from Newegg.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like