back to article Voice, data, help desk: Meet the Syrian refugees' IT infrastructure chief

Humanitarian organisations depend on internet and telecoms connectivity to conduct their life-saving work, and providing that critical service when there is none available is the job of the Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC). This is a global network of organisations who are on call to rapidly deploy when disaster …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Not an easy job to do, in any way shape or form."

No one is forcing them to do it. I'm sure they get suitable renumeration.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> No one is forcing them to do it.

None is forcing you to write idiotic comments either.

2. Charles Manning

Make sure it is wireles...

If it has any physical infrastructure it will get set on fire or otherwise destroyed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Make sure it is wireles...

And if its wireless, it will just get picked up and carried away, so your wifi signal will degrade based on the walking speed of the thief.

3. Mark 85

Security?

I wonder what kind of security is in place (and an escape plan) is in place for the worker bees on those sites inside the warzone? Given the nature of some of the combatants on the ground, I would think this would be a high-priority target with accusations of spying for the infidels, etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Security?

That's why it's not under the Red Cross, because that bright red plus sign makes an excellent target for aerial bombardment.

4. Wensleydale Cheese

Not just physical security, computer security too

Those computer systems are likely to be under attack by various interested parties, not forgetting spooks from all nations.

In the context of a war zone, any app or OS which slurps private data could put the aid/health workers and the folks they are helping in physical danger. Geolocation services are probably a Very Bad Idea.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The ETC

Demonstrating the better part of humanity, apparently.

Good on them.

6. mhoneywell

Brilliant

What a great piece. More of this shizzle please.

7. Ironclad

First hand account?

I'd be very interested to hear a first hand account from somebody who's been active in one their deployments, I bet it would be put most of our day-to-day hassles in perspective.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like