back to article UK team pioneers experimental cure for age-related blindness

A UK medical team is pioneering a potential cure for age-related blindness, with a treatment aimed at replacing damaged cells. Doctors at London's Moorfields Hospital transplanted embryonic stem cells into a 60-year-old woman who recently became unable to see. The unnamed UK resident is one of many who suffer from age-related …

1. ma1010 Silver badge
    Go

Wonderful if it works

My mother suffered from this horror. It made her essentially blind for the last 4 years of her life. It was the last straw that destroyed the independence she was so proud of, and made her life a misery. It affects lots of elderly people, effectively blinding them.

And since this disease is genetically linked, it's something for me to not look forward to getting someday.

My hat's off to anyone who can find a cure.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Top work!

Let's hope it does the trick.

3. MJI Silver badge

I really hope this pays off

This would be a fantastic development

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At what price though? The BBC indicated that embryonic stem cells were used because it was easier than using other types of stem cells. If it does work, will it be developed with less ethically sensitive materials? I'm glad that accepting the treatment is not a dilemma I have to face.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Fraggle850

It will be great to see this exciting new technology spread to other parts of the body

Stem cells offer so much potential for us all. Never really got the ethical argument against embryonic stem cells, always felt it would be a shame to hold up something with so much promise.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's a stem cell treatment, as has been tried for other things.

Slow news, so needed up put up a press release?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As tech junkies age, yard think a treatment for this would be pretty high up on our list of "bad things avoided" list. This won't be a problem here. Not enough lifespan left. Still, something good for others to know about.

7. GrahamN

Proud to support London Project

In 2007 Professor Coffey approached the Macular Society for urgent funding for the London Project to Cure Blindness. Although the project has taken longer than the five years originally forecast, we are delighted that the first patient has been treated and that the £100,000 raised by the Society has contributed to this important development. This is a major step in the progress towards a cure for a distressing condition.

We are extremely proud to have supported this exciting project with the support of our donors; however, it is not yet known if this will meet the needs of the thousands of people affected by wet age-related macular degeneration. The Society is urgently campaigning for more funding for macular research because our ageing society means many more people are developing the condition.

1. Wzrd1

Re: Proud to support London Project

While it won't likely help my lattice macular degeneration, it most certainly can help with age related macular degeneration. My father was essentially blind from it for the entire last two years of his life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019