back to article Here, near the shore of Santa Monica, we see ICANN in its natural habitat – doing nothing

Every professional has job-specific nightmares. It could be a doctor delivering a baby from the Exorcist, or an engineer standing on a bridge that collapses. If a professional facilitator were to wake up screaming, in a cold sweat, they would likely have been dreaming about a meeting just like the one currently taking place at …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85 Silver badge

The first version of the IANA transition plan even had the audacity to replace the US government itself with a small group of ICANN insiders.

When I first read this, I was thinking a palace coup. ICANN would be probably worse then the current group of lunatics running the asylum.

3. frank ly

"Sessions are chaired, rather than facilitated."

I've only just got used to 'programs' becoming 'applications'. When did the 'facilitator' thing happen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Sessions are chaired, rather than facilitated."

Frag if I know. I made the chairman /chairwoman - >chairperson transition but have trouble calling the person running the meeting just chair. What the heck do facilitators actually do to facilitate? [Must be channeling Dabbs; naked sweaty bodies being externally 'facilitated']

<Reaching for Mental Bleach >

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the idea is that unlike a chair(person) who has a stake in the outcome, a facilitator is there to get the group through the agenda points to a set of decisions by the end.

Sounds a terrible job, like being a peace envoy without the excitement of press conferences and the hope that people's lives will be better at the end.

5. Ole Juul

this point?

It has taken a year of solid work to get to this point.

They're still at the starting line.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agree with many of the articles comparing ICANN with FIFA. I initially thought them silly but now I see a very scary resemblance. The top down, command and control approach of the ICANN board and executives make moving root zone file management to the ITU or some other group not so bad looking. What looks even better is to not fall for the FUD regarding this being the last chance to wrest control of IANA from the US government. The IANA transition to a multistakeholder model horse has left the barn and supported by many lawmakers in Washington. The transition WILL eventually happen (and many representatives from other governments have made it clear privately that they had been happy with the US oversight role and ask why change it now) but should not happen until the community as a whole, not just the travel club that has been financed by ICANN in return for their silence and/or acquiescence, agrees with a simple oversight mechanism over the naming portion of the IANA functions that gives the community full control. Lets not forget that ICANN is there to serve the Internet community – not itself - in return for non-profit status from the California and US government. And, although it has money, it has no real authority over which root servers the world decides to point their systems to and therefore no authority over what would go into these alternate systems. The membership model proposed by the CCWG is an excellent start and the associated powers given to the “single member” an absolute bar minimum of what can be accepted (including the key ability to veto budgets). Given the current very poor behavior of top executives and Board exemplified from the public discussions, back room dealings, internal gag orders, and a closed, delay and forget approach by the IANA GM to simple questions about IANA operations (e.g., SOC2 audit details), all arrows point to the need for greater external controls over ICANN to achieve the transparency necessary to maintain global trust in the current, un-fragmented, root zone. So lets not rush and take the time develop something unquestionably simple AND transparent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019