back to article Data retention: Still a shambles ahead of October rollout

Australia's Attorney-General's Department hasn't worked out when money to support telcos' and ISPs' data retention efforts will start to flow. The department, left in the hands of Grand Sysadmin George Brandis in Malcolm Turnbull's cabinet reshuffle, has been criticised by the Communications Alliance for being vague about the …

1. dan1980

My only problem with this articles is the word "still" in the title. It gives the impression that this might, at some stage, be anything other than a complete cluster-f$@k.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

It is Canberra, it will only ever be a cluster-f$@k. The AG's department is waiting for the ISP's to deploy their solutions. They will then conduct post installation evaluations. Whichever solution captures the most information is the one that the AG's department meant when they drafted the legislation. The other ISP's who should have known this will have to spend from their own pockets to upgrade. This is game theory Canberra style, incompetent, inefficient, a detriment to the nation and just the way they like it.

1. dan1980

Actually, I think the reason they are not providing real specifics is because they want to capture full browsing histories but don't want to come out and say that.

They know, however, that there's really no way for the ISPs to give the government what they are asking for without also providing these histories. Thus, the AG's department just has to wait for ISPs to do implement their systems and then sit back and relax with a big grin and one of the cigars Joe Hockey left behind.

2. Adam 1

Millions of dollars wasted when you consider it can be overcome with a $6 a month VPN subscription.

1. dan1980

Yes, it can be overcome with a VPN. But does the average person know how? Even if they did, when they realise they have to turn it off to get their Netflix streaming to work or after the first time they see download or browsing speeds slow down, how long do you think it will be before they just stop bothering?

Yes, those interesting in conducting 'serious crime' via the Internet can easily work around this and it will be prudent for them to do so.

In that regard, you can say that the money is wasted as it won't help much with the stated purpose. But then one would have to believe that the stated purpose is actually the intended purpose.

That's why they can't admit that it won't work or would be easy to circumvent.

Remember that this data will be accessible to a far broader range of people than just law enforcement, including (but not limited to) the RTA, local councils, ATO and so forth so it really is as much - if not more - for monitoring normal citizens as it is for tracking and catching 'serious criminals'.

1. Adam 1

I don't think the how is the difficult part. Anyone with the technical nous to install an App from Google Play can install the preconfigured client for whatever VPN provider they settle on. Anyone with the technical nous to double click a setup.exe can do the same on Windows.

The difficult part is helping people understand just how easy they are to track online. How their IP address itself can be geolocated

I don't believe for a minute that an ISP would take adequate steps protect my privacy. I wouldn't even trust a security agency to be capable of protecting something so important.

In terms of speed, it really isn't that bad from my experience. Without VPN I get 4.05Mbps. With VPN I get 3.9. Ping goes from 22 to 23ms. I don't have netflix, but iview, SBS, and Youtube can stream HD without missing a beat.

If I was to suggest everyone had to remove their curtains, ensure their front fences didn't exceed waist height, ensure that letters were all written on the back of post cards, that any show you watched was noted down, that you spoke with was noted down, you would rightly label it creepy. You can't just put "because pedoterrorists" at the end of the sentence to make it a sane idea.

I suspect your last few paragraphs are bang on.

1. dan1980

Upvote for 'pedoterrorists'.

Pretty much sums it up. 'Witches' would also work.

2. czthomas

A VPN doesn't encrypt anything that is subject to the Data Retention Act.

...and I don't know where these "millions of dollars" are, considering grown-up ISPs have been retaining the relevant data ever since the 1979 Telecomms Act.

1. taniakiara

protection from Data retention

Sorry, but you are wrong there! A VPN protects everything that you do online including the activities that are subject to data retention act. Yes, ISPs have been retaining data for the government, but they kept it a secret until now. But, one can not remain ignorant now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon