back to article The BBC's Space: A short history of 21st Century indoor relief

It was Open London last weekend, where for two days we got to see inside buildings normally closed to the public. With Doctor Who’s Tardis being unavailable, my kids found themselves on the Dazzle Ship moored in the Thames*. They were at once accosted by someone showing them an app. Take a photo, slap it on your own Dazzle …

1. John Miles 1

Brilliant

Brilliant critique. Thank you!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brilliant

Agreed. Sometimes an Orlowski article hits the nail square on the head, and I think this has done just that.

2. Jim 59

"digital"

When I was a nipper, "digital" was even more of a magic word than it is now. More specifically, "digital watch". They were even more popular than smartphones are now. Not much cheaper though.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: "digital"

When I was a nipper, "digital" was an adjective for the punishment the village priest meted out on pupils declared unruly according to secret papal standards, using a wooden ruler.

At some point, we got black & white TV....

3. m0rt

Nice piece. I liked the allusion(?) of the Digital workmongering being the middle class workhouse.

Bill Thompson, his pic taken by Cory D - feels like there should be a meme in that somewhere. . I was wondering what happened to BT just the other week. I could have <insert search engine here>d him but I wasn't that arsed. Nostalgia isn't what you thought it was going to be.

This post is uttley pointless. However, it has killed a few minutes before the conf call...

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

BIll T.

He's a regular on the BBC "Click" radio programme on the World Service (also available as a podcast). He usually sounds fairly sane on there, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w6r2/episodes/downloads

4. Notenoughnamespace

The Space on Freeview

Some of the cash went on streaming Titus Andronicus in Cantonese, and what could be more inclusive than that?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/01/the_space_freeview/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The issue with the Beeb..

...is it doesn't seem to be full of yes men.

no one with the balls (high enough up) to simply go...sorry, that's just crap.

I can imagine they sit in endless meetings, seeing what the latest buzz thing is, going Oooo we need some of that, oh and that, and that...

Hey but I like Ballet, can we add ballet to it...good idea,

I like jazz....Ooo ok Jazz Ballet, great idea, but we need the kids to like it,

OK Jazz Ballet with a rapper, streamed on Youtube with a live twitter feed,

But what apbout the older demographic? OK Jazz ballet with a rapper, streamed on Youtube with a live twitter feed, filmed in a statley home....

But won't that seem elitist?

Good point....OK how about....Jazz ballet with a rapper, streamed on Youtube with a live twitter feed, filmed in a statley home with a community choir, ooo full of black kids in hoodies?

What about a positive image for women?

Jazz ballet with a rapper, streamed on Youtube with a live twitter feed, filmed in a statley home with a community choir, ooo full of black kids in hoodies and women in the background doing manual labour?

Hold on, it the year of coding.

Well that easy.....

5 days later....

So we agree....

Jazz ballet with a rapper, streamed on Youtube with a live twitter feed, filmed in a stately home with a community choir, full of black kids in hoodies with plenty of women (not in any way dressed in a way men would find appealing) in the background doing manual labour, with an interactive app, so the audience can vote which Celeb joins in with the cake baking being simulcast in a remote African village full of refugees.

Agreed?

Agreed.

Next on the agenda, shutting down the extremely popular and highly regarded Cbeebies and CBBC channels due to funding cuts.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: The issue with the Beeb..

Epic. But wait, no George Clooney?

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

There's a reason why people think W1A is a documentary...

1. druck Silver badge
        Unhappy

And ¡Bong! is 100% factual reporting, gawd help us.

3. m0rt

"Next on the agenda, shutting down the extremely popular and highly regarded Cbeebies and CBBC channels due to funding cuts."

Highly regarded by whom? Parents of kids who use it as a way of keeping them occupied?

Would be cheaper to email out a dvd of Frozen to everyone, and they can just stick that on repeat.

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

@m0rt

You don't have kids do you? Cbeebies is an island of education and 'nice' entertainment in the sea of horrific advertising and brainwashing that comes from the other kids channels.

1. m0rt

@Gordon 10

Nope. Don't mind me. I am just jealous because all i got as a kid was an hour starting at 4, until Saturday morning starting with 'Why Don't You...?"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Gordon 10

'Cbeebies is an island of education and 'nice' entertainment in the sea of horrific advertising and brainwashing that comes from the other kids channels.'

Bollocks. PC faddist crap, most of it, the last time I looked. Take a look a 'Balamory' and tell me just how representative of a Scottish fishiung village, or even, proportionately, the UK population at large, its cast is.

The best children's TV I've ever seen, BY FAR (excluding Vision On, the absolute peak), is the stuff put out by Japan's NHK, especially Nihongo De Asobo and Okasan To Issho. Brilliant. The former, about words in the Japanese language and aimed at the under-6's, has a retired Sumo wrestler in a vast orange jumpsuit reciting Haiku; fantastic short Noh plays; and Kanda Sanyo, a kind of traditional turbo-charged Japanese standup.

...and don't get me started on museums and their 'digital mission to explain'. The best museum I've visited recently, BY FAR, is the aviation museum in Brussels. Looks as if it hasn't been dusted, tidied up or added to for 40 years. Total absence of digital. Fantastic range of exhibits, many rare; small placards telling you what each object is; separate displays on the history of Sabena Airlines and Belgium's involvement in the Congo, both of which will teach you a hell of a lot if you pay attention. Go there before some Eurocrat wakes up and fucks the place over.

4. Graham Marsden
      Devil

And next on Murdoch's Agenda: Shutting down the BBC News Channel and convincing the public that the BBC should be cut back to a few "core services", thus ensuring that his empire continues to grow and dominate and control what we get told...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Two downvotes for stating the obvious. Does R Brooks read The Register (or get a minion to do it)?

5. Burning Man

Well said.

...the absolutely best way to kill and great idea is present it to a committee to 'manage' it

6. hatti

So the 'Great British Jazz Ballet Ethnically Cool Rap Coding Bake Off' then, what time does it start?

6. Chris Miller
    Facepalm

I'd say "you couldn't make it up". But someone did. Apparently.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Not so much the middle-class as the chattering-class.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

I want politicians to have control, because, errr... because!

Here's Bill at The Register in 2002, busting net libertarian mythology with some gusto.

If they want a First Amendment online, or to let some gun-toting nut argue that writing viruses is the online equivalent of carrying a concealed weapon and so counts as a constitutionally protected right then they can go ahead - the rest of us can do things differently. ('Viruses don't trash hard drives - people trash hard drives.')

A cyberspace in which each machine is 'within' a jurisdiction and where actions can be mapped onto physical space will be very different from today's Internet.

In the mapped network we will not have the absolute freedom of speech which cyberlibertarians claim they want, but neither will we get absolute oppression, absolute free market capitalism or even absolute communism. We will instead get compromise, and regional or national variation, just as in the real world.

I can scarcely comprehend how utterly stupid and out-of-touch this now sounds after the Summer of Surveillance and the tendency to fascist-out on just about everything. It's the vision of the "Peace Grid". Well, we are getting it anyway, willy or nilly.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Ordinary people aren't stupid'

Then how do you explain Ikea on the weekend?

10. ButlerInstitute

BBC's explanation

FYI....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/bdf2d3c7-750a-4aef-9ed2-c967696d85dc

11. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Night Watch

Wow, I didn't realise Night Watch was so big - life size!

12. D Moss Esq

If Space runs out of time ...

... there's always Martha-now-Lady Lane Fox's promising cluster, DOT EVERYONE ("making Britain brilliant at the Internet"):

DOT EVERYONE must help us navigate the multiple ethical and moral issues that the internet is presenting and will continue to present.
    Navigators, boatswains, mainbrace-splicers, ..., I can't see a crew of less than 500 being needed.

We haven't heard much about DOT EVERYONE since it was announced at this year's Dimbleby Lecture. We can only hope that the Chinese and the Russians haven't already digitally stolen its valuable IP.

13. Wupspups
    Black Helicopters

State-owned, collectivised server farms

Run by GCHQ I guess?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like