back to article Oracle: Over here, look over here! At the cloud! No, not at our glum licensing numbers

Enterprise IT giant Oracle is once again pointing to a growing cloud business to gloss over lackluster financial numbers in other parts of its business. Big Red on Wednesday said that its $8.4bn in first-quarter [PDF] revenues (ending August 31) were down 2 per cent over the same period in 2014, when it logged $8.5bn. Earnings …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ya...

Read: Oracle has audited their customer base, and told everyone out of compliance to either buy into the cloud vision or pay a trillion dollars in penalties.

2. tony2heads
    Joke

Mark Hurd?

Surely that's Steve Carrell playing at being an executive

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mark Hurd?

You sure? That pair look like the perps who look surly as they get cuffed at the end of Batman move. The evil, designer-leather clad villainess, and the wicked corporate suit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much as the ritual bashing of $BIGCORP is fun, you can't really ignore the fact that over the past year the dollar has gained 15% against the Euro, 12% against the Yen and 5% against the Pound. Since most large IT companies make more than half their sales outside the $ zone this really does have an impact, as the constant-currency results show.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stronger or weaker

Didn't Oracle claim a weaker dollar over the last year caused their results to be worse?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Stronger or weaker

Didn't Oracle claim a weaker dollar over the last year caused their results to be worse?

No. The Oracle statement said "The strengthening of the US dollar compared to foreign currencies had a significant impact on results in the quarter". It was The Register who, in their eagerness to pooh-pooh this, misquoted the statement.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

I'm still constantly surprised at how shit Oracle are...

In my recent (and not so recent experience) of running Oracle and SAP programmes and projects, my view is that it would help both companies if they started releasing software that actually worked out of the box, or after configuration.

It seems to me that these days, both companies align to the strategy of shoving half-baked applications and services out of the door without the requisite testing having been done; and then use their customer implementation projects as beta-tests, only to be fixed by a myriad of (also crap) patches down the line - thereby delaying many a go-live.

Don't get me started on the quality of the Oracle UK "consulting and implementation" team. They are not far off of making HP Professional services look halfaway competent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like