back to article HP Inc to pink-slip 3,300 workers amid biz-split bloodbath

HP Inc – the bit of HP that makes printers and PC – will shed 3,300 jobs, it was revealed on Tuesday. HP is splitting in two formally on November 1, forming Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc. HP Inc, which will be based around HP's personal systems and printing groups, will report $6.8bn total debt when it begins operating …

1. Chairo
    Devil

The surprising thing here

is, that they still have people to lay off. Wouldn't it be easier to just close down the company and sell the assets to the highest bidder? I guess by now their management must have lots of practice in doing this (if in nothing else).

1. PJF

Re: The surprising thing here

OR

Could they charge more for their propriety ink(jet) cartridges than the $40, for they make for at less than 10 cents a pop?

Yep - cut the labor, cheapen/ out-source the product, charge more for necessities, and wonder why they can't make a nickle... But, but - the humans are costing us to have something between their ears.

GFY HP !!

1. Charles R. Whealton

Re: The surprising thing here

Cheapen/out-source the product is putting it VERY nicely. An article in the NY Times Dealbook mentioned the countries they're planning on sending the call center jobs to. In the years when I worked in a position with plenty of exposure to HP, I dealt with the countries they're sending those particular positions to. I'm not going to sit here and country bash, but wow, they never seem to learn their lesson.

2. TReko
    Mushroom

Power dive

HP's new business model for the last 2 years :

* cut costs (mostly by disabling essential business functions)

* buy back stock using proceeds

The results:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-24/why-hewlett-packard-firing-58000

3. luis river

Meg Whitman the "terminator" of HP, it has removed the bread to family parents' thousands, exactly 55.000 drops, more than the deads in the battle of gettysburg of the American civil war, it is a shame, it is a clamor that ascends to the sky for this great nonsense, the buyer IT it should consider all these things and to avoid any economic relationship with this company.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP Ink, amirite?

Disappointed that el Reg isn't routinely referring to them as HP Ink by now.

5. Vic

Splitting

HP is splitting in two formally on November 1, forming Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc

HP is splitting into *three* parts. HE Enterprise, HP Inc, and Unemployed.

It remains to be seen which of these three will have the most people in it...

Vic.

6. abedarts

Capitalism

Creative destruction - it applies to the IT business too.

7. fredesmite

HP logo has changed

from " Invent "

to

Outsourced to lowest bidder Injun cesspool

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like