back to article The S, Huawei’s new best Mate: Compact and premium – but not cheap

The Mate has had a place in Huawei’s range lineup as a cheapskate’s alternative to Samsung’s Galaxy Note phablets: it's cheap, cheerful and durable. The display wasn’t the best, but a massive battery kept the phone chugging along for ages. Slightly confusingly, the Mate S is a quite different kettle of fish, however. It …

1. Shades

Pizza

The pizza above the potato one looks delicious though!

Phone? What phone??

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Here come de Bling!

Add a nice sparkly jacket and the Bling Addicts will love to be seen with one of these attached to their lughole.

I wonder if Vertu produce a really blinged version?

For the rest of us? Meh (probably)

3. Chris Miller

Kartoffeln über alles

Put potato on everything!

It's the unofficial German motto. And another reason I love the country so much.

4. Alistair
    Coat

'taterza

Given that the rest of the pizza is constructed correctly - Potatoes work.

That one doesn't look like it has bacon. One *must* have bacon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: 'taterza

Being Italian, I can tell you that potato slices are certainly allowed as a topping.

Whereas pineapple is VERBOTEN! As are meatballs or chicken.

Italian police will send you to jail if you try!

5. BrazzaB

You live and learn

I ordered chicken on my pizza with chips - you guessed it - I got a chicken and chips pizza!

Apparently it's a normal topping there! Wonder if it's just for the tourists?

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Daft

Am I the only one who thinks these... erm... phones not only look stupid, but make the users look stupid too.

1. AC Wilson

Re: Daft

That may only be the mirror-like finish you are seeing.

7. Busby

Think this one is priced just a little too high. Spec wise it seems decent enough for the price but falls into the good not great category. Can see this one struggling to get decent numbers as I can't see people paying these prices for what is still not considered a premium brand.

The Honor 7 on the other hand I expect to sell very well and maybe once those buyers come to upgrade a year or two down the line they would consider going for a more premium Huawei but I don't think they are there yet in Western markets so doubt I will see many of these in use on the train.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like