back to article Leak-shamed Intel finally bares nifty Skylake details to world+dog

A leak in Japan has led Intel to rush out the full details of its sixth-generation Skylake chip lineup. Today's launch follows the previous announcement of Core i5 and i7 variants, and the leak of much of the lineup in July. The lineup includes five 4.5W Core Y processors; ten 15W Core U-series processors and four 28 W …

1. Ragequit
    Meh

Meh...

It's really hard to get excited about processors these days. Especially not fond of being forced into solutions just because it runs counter with Intel's goals (read keeping all their product lines relevant). Give me more PCIe lanes and more cores rather than higher clock rates.

I still have a little bit of hope that AMD isn't completely blowing smoke with their Zen processors. If for no other reason that it will but some pricing pressure on Intel. Course they need to start shipping some volume too and despite what they might hope I don't think that will be coming from Win10.

1. Mark 65

Re: Meh...

I wouldn't say I'm excited about it, but the push for greater performance per watt is good news for people that make use of QNAP or Synology style NAS boxes as it means the virtualisation capabilities will become ever greater without the need for large power draw.

1. Ragequit

Re: Meh...

I'd figure the atom based C2000 series of SoC's would be a better fit for NAS boxes? And those have yet to see a refresh (denverton was the next name iirc).

Too bad we won't see anything like the new Xeon Phi's at the lower end for quite some time. Though if you were to believe the rumors the high end of the upcoming AMD Zen refresh will have HBM memory on die. Time will tell. AMD has put HBM on their GPU's.

2. katx5h

It's like the airlines

Y, U H, S....dammit which one gets me the most frequent flyer miles and the best chance of an upgrade? no matter which one I use, I'm flying coach. Geez.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still not quite the full line-up. There is no i3 listed yet.

4. Not Terry Wogan

Come back and see me...

... when you have mainstream processors with eight cores and sixteen threads, Intel. And when DDR4 has matured. Then we can do some business.

1. Tom Womack

Re: Come back and see me...

They've had mainstream processors with eight cores and sixteen threads for three and a half years, and with DDR4 support for nearly a year now. They say 'Xeon' on the box and the motherboard's a bit more expensive.

"Please, Intel, sell me your fanciest chips for a price closer to that of your cheapest chips" is not a plea likely to achieve success.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Come back and see me...

Have you looked at the Xeon D? It basically sits between the Core i7 and the Xeon E. Comes with 8 cores/16 thread, DDR-4, and no internal graphics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Xeon D with higher core counts in the near future.

5. smartypants

Hello, Intel Here.

We have listened to the forum and have decided to suspend the natural evolution of our product line-up because some existing owners don't see the need to upgrade their systems.

What were we thinking? Apologies all round!

6. Bronek Kozicki
    Facepalm

I am sooo fed up of Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. It seems that there is no CPU presented which does not have it. Such a waste of silicon space, which could be used for something else, when large proportion of users will buy discreet GPU anyway.

Well tough luck, I guess I will have to continue waiting for a new CPU which would be suitable for me. Not that I am in a hurry to replace my current Ivy Bridge Xeons (and the motherboard) anyway.

1. Aitor 1

integrated GPU is used

Integrated GPU is used by most users.

Today it is good enough for most users, including many graphic designers.

Mac laptops mostly have integrated GPUs, and work ok, the speed is also ok.

2. Thecowking

My GPU isn't discreet, it's sodding massive and has leds all over it. Plus my case has a perspex cut out so you can see it glowing.

It is discrete though.

1. Bronek Kozicki

@Thecowking thanks for correction.

I would still prefer if there were some new CPU models without IG, though. I was perhaps wrong in my estimation on how many discrete GPUs are out there, but for those who have them it would make more sense to have more cores or perhaps larger cache than unused IG. There are even discrete GPUs for laptops, i.e. MXM form factor, its not like all laptops have to have intel graphics inside.

Well I guess eventually, by the end of next year, there might be some Xeons Skylake without IG, but the wait is annoying.

3. phil dude
      Megaphone

IG...

I'm not so bothered about IG, but I wish they would report them in GFLOPs (DP/SP).

The most useless thing about the AMD chips that *actually* punted this features was the complete and utter lack of software to allow users to *use it*.

That and malign manufactures (Looking at *you* HP) that nobbled the bios so you couldn't have discrete and IG active simultaneously...(for those of us who don't play games but wobble atoms).

P.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

"Windows Hello and RealSense Camera support bring facial recognition"

Facial recognition - the final nail in the coffin for our privacy. Your phone/tablet/whatever is going to be the industry's portal into your life, recording everything you say, watching everything you do, and tracking you everywhere you go, "for a better customer experience".

And you won't be able to turn it off, because they'll lock it into the phone's function "for security reasons".

I am so going to live in a cave as soon as I retire.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lot's of uptos there which look remarkably like lies claims for ISP's broadband speed or a motor manufacturers MPG.

9. jb99

Ugh who cares about the power even a little bit?

"Come look at my new PC, it uses 10% less power than my old one!.

Yeah that's impressive,.

Intel, stop adding poinless stuff like graphics to the cpus which nobody wants. Stop going on about how low power they are and make them faster, or at least add a lot more cores. You seem to have lost the plot entirely.

1. Gareth Jones
      Flame

Who cares about power...?

jb99: "Ugh who cares about the power even a little bit?"

I do. Many others do too. There are two benefits to having better power efficiency:

1. That server you have running 24/7/365 costs you less money to run. Multiply that by 2 cpu's per box and maybe 40 boxes per rack and you have some real money being saved.

2. Lower power usage means less heat being produced. This means you can probably overclock it more without having to provide more cooling if you're using it to game with. If you're in a data centre environment it means you can either save money on cooling or pack more boxes into the same space without everything melting.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Styming the tinfoil-hatters...?

Windows Hello and RealSense Camera support bring facial recognition to the delighted masses (and stymie the tinfoil-hatters who put tape over their cameras)

That doesn't sound right. Just because a camera is "RealSense" doesn't mean tape won't work any more. Why would the author think it does?

Asking this because I'm one of the people who tapes over my laptop/tablet/phone camera... and (separately) I have an Intel RealSense camera setup for 3D capturing of objects (dedicated computer + other bits for it).

11. Tom 35

Do they have enough different models?

How do you differentiate between a dual core i7 and an i5?

How do average buyers even know there is a new i7 and how it's better then the old i7 or the old, old i7...

Do intel not want to upset box shifters by changing the name and making it harder to unload old stock?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like