Re: Fuck us.
> Yet another illustration of why we NEED granular 1st/2nd/3rd party controls for all content/MIME types built into browsers
As much as I admire and agree with you sentiment... don't hold your breath. What with recent events...
* W10 private-info slurping on by default, almost impossible to turn off without using a separate firewall, even if you're prepared to pay for your OS
* Continued erosion of Firefox, the most popular open source browser, at the expense of slurping Chrome. Add to that the soon-to-become-extinct extensibility features used by a great deal of the add-ons.
* Native advert-loading and tracking features being built into most major OSes
* ISPs getting in on the act and modifying traffic to include per-user identification in HTTP headers
* Numerous companies providing "free" wifi and either data-mining them or injecting adverts into unencrypted connections
* Resistance to non-backdoored encryption and firmware from governments and corporations
* Seeming complete inability for most customer-focused companies to ship firmware with security better than "don't look at it funny"
Best case scenario: people finally realise that most people hate advertising and that it doesn't really work, at least not for the vast amount of money being spent on it. Result: ad companies security gets even worse, adverts and data-mining become even more aggressive.
Worst case scenario: ad companies and sundry data miners somehow earn vast coinage from exploiting their knowledge of your private info, resulting in a big pool of money being available to websites that promote advertising and data mining and better techniques to do it. Much of the web becomes essentially impossible to use for people using ad/script/tracker-blocking software and such outcasts become the new "That Weirdo Who Doesn't Have A Facebook Account And For Some Suspicious Reason Doesn't Want The Police Putting A Camera In His House".
Now that all the pieces are being put in place, I think advertising and privacy is going to turn into a war zone soon.
This unhealthy dose of paranoia brought to you by Fukitol Antidepressants.