back to article China's Tianhe-1 supercomputer back online after Tianjin blast

The Tianhe-1 supercomputer in the Chinese city of Tianjin is back online. State organs China Youth Daily and People.com.cn are both reporting, with more than a little tinge of pride, that the supercomputer survived the blast thanks to the resilience of the data centre in which it was housed. The data centre is a couple of …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

only on medium settings.

You have to be in the top 10 to be able to crank it up to 'high'

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Corruption Purge

Is president Xi Jinping seeking to stamp out corruption to improve things for the population, or is he just using it as an excuse to bump off people he doesn't like?

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: Corruption Purge

Hard to say, really. I think we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out. Might be bigger things going on than what's being said.

When the early reports were coming out and mentioning that the company bosses were "detained", any mention of "re-education" or punishment was downvoted. Yet, it now would appear that the bosses are (to use an old movie phrase) singing like canaries. I wonder if it's under duress or the promise of reduced charges and/or punishment?

1. x 7 Silver badge

Re: Corruption Purge

" I wonder if it's under duress or the promise of reduced charges and/or punishment?"

Come on, don't be silly.......this is China that we're talking about

3. x 7 Silver badge

thinking about all this, I'm wondering about some of the reporting accuracy

First, the site is constantly being described as a storage warehouse - but it actually appears to have been a container depot for loading ships. Therefore you'd expect most of the boxes to be stored outside, not inside. And it wouldn't surprise me if the alleged 10t storage limit is irrelevant - if the cyanide was at the depot awaiting despatch, rather than just being stored, the legal limit may not apply.

Secondly, you normally store ammonium nitrate in something like a dutch barn, or a "leaky" building with lots of gaps in the walls to allow blast to escape. If the stuff was stored indoors then that would break any western concept of safety quite badly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem with China is that we are never sure if we can trust the information that comes out of it.

The BBC are reporting that government officials are saying the death toll is 114 and there are still 70 missing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-33970700

Can we really trust these numbers or is it possible that the actual tolls are much greater but the government are hiding it?

2. Dave 32
      Mushroom

Ammonium Nitrate

Yeah, we learned about Ammonium Nitrate on this side of the pond with the Texas City Disaster back in 1947:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

:-(

Dave

1. x 7 Silver badge

Re: Ammonium Nitrate

And more recently with the West City explosion

4. Def Silver badge
    Coat

That cover photo

Could you not have found a worse quality version?

5. pigor

The truth

Obviously the party is hiding the truth: the supercomputer is a runaway AI and they failed to stop it.

The cyanide is a cover-up

1. Joe User
      Mushroom

Re: The truth

More like this was their way of stopping the run-away AI....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let the politicians drink the water like the Governor of Colorado did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImVkVYjOUg

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019