back to article Install OS X El Capitan update – or your apps may do an Ellen Pao

If you're running the first public beta of OS X El Capitan (version 10.11), well, open the App Store application, check for updates, and install the supplemental update. That's because there's a bug in the Apple Mac operating system that "may cause some 32-bit apps to quit unexpectedly." And by quit unexpectedly, we think …

1. Diogenes Silver badge

It broke a few other things. Last week installed all of CC2015 - after update had to reinstall nearly everything except Incopy. Xcode claims to be incompatible with the current release o the OS - please upgrade - so when I try it tells me I already have the latest version aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhh

1. forquare

Your post comes across as if you didn't realise this was beta software…

You can download the Xcode 7 beta from developer.apple.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

my original iMac bondi blue keyboard doesn't work under El Capitan

but so-far that's been the only remaining problem of the 3 betas that I've tested;

Some really old, i.e. 17 year old USB 1 devices are no longer recognised, and that's when plugged into Mac Pros or Mac minis. (The aged Jobsian keyboard worked well under Yosemite on the same hardware)

This is shaping up to be an OS that is to be recommended, like a 'Snow' Yosemite, as I've avoided Yosemite as much as was reasonably possible.

I do run an instance of some Windows variant as a small VM inside OS X for those once in a year episodes (such as generating a 4096bit S/MIME cert in I.E. instead of the 2048bits offered under Safari)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: my original iMac bondi blue keyboard doesn't work under El Capitan

If you kept as far away as possible from Yosemite, you must have ran like hell away from Mavericks... I don't think I've encountered a buggier release of OS X. Shame it was the first one I experienced after a long hiatus without a Mac.

Here's hoping for El Capitan, I want to like OS X again, I really do... but when Windows runs on the bare metal better you know something's amiss.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: my original iMac bondi blue keyboard now does work under El Capitan

Apple just fixed the bug! they were kind enough to inform me & ask me to test the new build. . .

(I liked Mavericks just for the fact that the memory-doubling tech allowed me to buy a very nicely priced MacBook Air from refurb with just 2GB RAM, and it runs great with 10.9.4)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

XCode will run...

Run the XCode executable from the command line and it runs just fine

2. Richard Taylor 2 Silver badge

Did you

really think that Pao's resignation was unexpected?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nadella's an ex-engineer. I bet he's looking at OS X completely baffled why Microsoft can't build and ship anything nearly this good.

Ballmer was too ignorant to understand how comprehensively he'd been outclassed. But I bet Nadella knows, and the knowledge is eating away at him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just that?

If you think that the MS CEO is worried by the OSX updater then may I humbly suggest that you might have had one too many last night.

There are far, far more serious things wrong with MS than that.

I am amazed at how so many people can turn out such mediocre/crap/[redacted] software.

They have a lot of talent but they are still mostly directionless after all those years with S. Balmer in charge. It is such a shame really.

If W10 turns out to be as bad as everyone seems to think then I can see that their next head chop count will be exceeded by the rodents jumping ship.

Interesting times ahead for the guys from Redmond. Pity I don't really like popcorn.

4. sqlrob
    FAIL

They like toasting bitness subsystems don't they? I remember when they broke the 64-bit one. At least this time it was in a beta rather than release software.

Don't they have a regression test before kicking something out the door?

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Flame

I do hope SMB networking isn't an omnishambles and the Mac forgetting that the built-in camera exists until reboot bug has been squashed. It's like they forget to test Yosemite altogether. And we're at 10.10.4 and they're still not fixed.

1. David Lawton

SMB should be good as they are standardising on SMB3 even getting iOS 9 to support it ( to os x server shares only though ).

6. PassiveSmoking
    Stop

Breaking news!

Beta-grade software has bugs in it! Stop the presses!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019