back to article Kali Linux 2.0 to launch at DEFCON 23

A small cadre of hackers have announced the next version of the Kali hacker arsenal, codenamed Sana, will be released on 11 August. The popular penetration testing platform brings hundreds of the best open source hacking tools into a Debian-based distribution that is a staple for hackers and forensic analysts. Kali Linux …

1. h4rm0ny
    Thumb Up

Nice.

Will be very keen to see what they have for us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice.

Lots of new Flash and OpenSSL vulnerabilities I bet....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Nice.

Hopefully a Metasploit set up that doesn't need rebuilding virtually every time you use it P)

For just the MS setup with the webby front end all set up and ready to go it is superb. Add in all the other stuff and it really is the dogs nadgers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the glorious leaders of our great nation Torystan ban this sick filth and block the downloads.

We can let these cyber-terror weapons fall into the hands of children!

1. NCOIC

Kali Linux is already in the hands of petulant juvenile delinquents... National Security Agency, Central Security Service, US Cyber Command, the 5 Eyes Alliance of Intelligence Agencies US, UK, CA, AU, NZ established during WWII... http://ncoic.com/nsapoole.html

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    FAIL

Based on systemd, so will work on ~10% of machines

The Kali project switched to systemd, which means it will not boot properly on almost any portable machine and create problem on some desktops and servers as well. Kali's forums are already full of threads reporting major problems, and I'm not surprised, as I've tried myself some systemd-based images (Debian and GRML) all of them failed on litterally every laptop I tried (6, from 10-yo to this year's model) and caused major problems on most older (older than 5 years) desktop hardware, too.

(note that all the hardware mentionned in this post now runs Devuan without a hitch).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Based on systemd, so will work on ~10% of machines

Yet for me systemd based systems have started fine for everything I have waved it at. I have about 400 data points, including the desktop in front of me, which is a customer cast off. Judging by these entries in /etc/kernels:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65915 Apr 15 2010 kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.32-gentoo-r1

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 107477 Aug 22 2014 kernel-config-x86_64-3.15.5-gentoo

... it is getting on a bit, and could also do with an update 8)

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
        Stop

Re: Based on systemd, so will work on ~10% of machines

I suppose I could get thousands of datapoints going one way or another using virtual machines and custom-made images. What I'm talking about here is live images (and live/install images) which by definition are supposed to be generic, and also the main use case for Admin/penetration distros such as GRML or Kali. Only systemd doesn't do generic. It may work in compile-everytime situations such as Gentoo install (and even then, I'd bet your 400 points are 390 virt and 10 phys at most).

Problem is, an admin/hack/penetration distro ain't no good if you cannot just slide the CD (or plug the stick) in any machine and boot from that, with full hardware recognition. That's something systemd just can't do, in my experience.a

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like