back to article Understanding the network energy efficiency challenge

At the end of last week, the GreenTouch telco energy-efficiency consortium told a presumably-glittering event in New York that its five-year project to design more energy-efficient telecommunications has been a success. In fact, the group said, it reckons that if adopted, its approaches could improve mobile network efficiency …

1. Neoc

"Why have fifty devices in the same street spending five watts each on simple firewall functions (250 Watts) when you probably only need a few watts to run virtual machines in the carrier infrastructure?"

Because I wouldn't trust Telstra or Optus to be able to wipe their bottoms correctly, let alone trust them with my home PCs' safety and health.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You don't trust the telcos

And I don't trust my neighbors. Hell, I don' trust the people in this house (when it comes to technology.)

2. IanR

It was THIS big, honest...

Well, the Greens aren't exactly known for modesty (or accuracy) but 10,000 times? that must be a world record for exaggeration, even by them.

1. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

Re: It was THIS big, honest...

What on earth does the number supposedly mean anyway? "Efficiency savings that could reduce consumption by - say - 25% from current levels" - that would be a sensible figure. And a sensible way to present it!

3. malle-herbert

No word on servers ?

That are sitting idly in datacenters doing nothing ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No word on servers ?

No Windows server ever does nothing for more than a second or two - take a look at wireshark to see what all your nothing servers are babbling about...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019