back to article Man in India claims his new iPhone 6 combusted in his car

A man in India says his iPhone 6 burst into flames just two days after he purchased the handset. The Times of India reports that restaurant owner Kishan Yadav was making a hands-free call while driving through the city of when he noticed his new iPhone 6 emitting sparks. He tossed the overheating handset out of the window and …

  1. Chris G Silver badge

    Lottery

    Can't say I am crazy about some aspects of Appoo but so far they have sold about 20 million iPhone 6s so 2 spontaneously combusting out of 20 million is not far off the odds of winning the lottery.

    Hardly a trend is it?

    1. Yag

      Re: Lottery

      It's even less significant, as the other reported exploPhone was a 5c, not a 6.

  2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

    Restaurant Owner

    Presumably he prefers his phones medium rare rather than well-done.

    Apple are thinking of bringing out a new iPhone called the Bramley.

  3. emmanuel goldstein

    an Indian restaurant owner's phone spontaneously combusts. how ironic. was it the ring?

    1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

      It sure gave him the pips*.

      *older commentards will understand.

  4. Bloodbeastterror

    "Apple declined to comment on the matter."

    Blimey!

    1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Devil

      Re: "Apple declined to comment on the matter."

      I'm sure they would have commented, it's just for some reason Apple gave a Genius Bar appointment with an estimated time of 6 hours and the journalist had something better to do than hanging round the shiny temple all bloody day.

  5. Ian Joyner

    Samsung exploding washing machines

    One could draw attention to Samsung's washing machine debacle which is far more common than 1 in 10 million.

    If you haven't heard and have a Samsung washing machine - check if it's part of the recall - a lot of houses have burnt down.

    1. Mr.Mischief

      Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

      Because any screwup by Apple should immediately be compared to Samsung.

      Where is Samsung in the article anyway? Why not any other example of a product failing? Recalled meat? Firestone tires?

      So this is what fanboi smells like..

      1. Ian Joyner

        Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

        Nothing to do with your silly dismissive 'fanboi' word. Samsung had a serious problem due to design affecting a large percentage of units. Apple - and the truth of what actually happened here is not established - has a very small percentage of failure. It is the people here who have very quickly come out criticising Apple. Get some perspective.

        1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
          Unhappy

          Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

          Comparing devices with moving parts to ones without is a tad unfair.

          1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

            Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

            The parts of an iPhone that move are the fanboi carrying it.

    2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

      Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

      We have a Hotpoint WMD. Bit concerned whether it is susceptible to Stuxnet, The spin cycle can be a tad noisy when filled with towels.

      1. VinceH Silver badge
        Mushroom

        Re: Samsung exploding washing machines

        "We have a Hotpoint WMD"

        I had no idea Hotpoint made weapons of mass destruction. Do the TLAs know?

  6. Nolveys Silver badge
    Mushroom

    The Real Reason For This

    Thamuel L Jacthson wath juth running a few teths.

  7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

    Yummy - Baked Apple on his menu

    opps.

    mines the one made out of flame retatdent material.

  8. TheProf
    Mushroom

    Sparks?

    Phone plugged into a non-standard car charger?

    1. macjules Silver badge

      Re: Sparks?

      +1 My thoughts exactly.

    2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

      Re: Sparks?

      http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/GTY_electric_charging_car_tk_1301002_16x9_992.jpg

      I'm surprised he was able to get an adapter.

    3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

      Re: Sparks?

      Any high energy phone will have an increased probability of acting like a bomb (explode, burn) if there is an electrical problem. That is one reason lithium batteries are controlled during transportation. Once the person throws the "sparking" phone out the window and it explodes, the ability to find the source of the problem (perhaps a defective charger or cable . . . or phone) is lost. Perhaps the phone has been dropped before, etc. or perhaps it was defective. I doubt we will know.

  9. Ambivalous Crowboard
    Headmaster

    grey*

    This *is* a English-British site, isn't it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019