back to article AdBlock aims to send filthy malverts on one-way LSD trip

Enterprises will be able to stem the remaining revenue stream for online news outlets using a new wide network feature launched today for popular browser extension AdBlock Plus. The extension modified under the ongoing AdBlock Plus for Administrators project will make it easier to deploy across technology device fleets by …

1. Mark 85

Maybe it's me...

but wouldn't it just be easier to push out something like this: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ I'm sure he'd sell a license cheaper than Adblock. We push our own out on a regular basis. Not as complete as my link. I don't know where the sys guy gets it from but we seldom see ads at work.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Maybe it's me...

Wow! Can't believe there are so many. Anyone know an easy way to load this lot into DNS on a Windows Domain?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Will 20

http://kpytko.pl/dns/dns-bulk-host-a-records-creation/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just enable Tracking Protection in IE via Group Policy, no need for an app. It uses the same block list as AdBlock...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"save bandwidth and improve security"

Not to be nasty or anything, but since when does a company care about ads from other companies ?

If an ad-blocker is deployed company-wide, the only logical setting is to block all ads all the time, with exceptions made for sites that detect that and play coy with their data until you allow ads again.

In that case, the decision should be made as to whether that site is important for the company or not. If not, block that site permanently.

1. Mark 85

Re: "save bandwidth and improve security"

Well... a lot of malware comes in (or tries to come in) via ads. There are people who craft evil ads or hijack an ad.

Then there's employee's surfing about and see an ad for some shiny and they're off and running on company time.

Lastly, let's face it.. ads are annoying.

3. EddieD

Yebbut

I seem to remember that AdBlock now sells exceptions to their blocklist to the highest bidder, so surely if folk start using this, AdBlock will just giggle gently and accept payments both from those blocking and those advertising.

I'm more than a tad out of the loop these days, so feel free to correct me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yebbut

Not quite true, these can be disabled via the "allow some non-intrusive advertising" tick box.

4. Kubla Cant

Proxy server

Why mess about with browser-level filters? Almost all big companies access the Internet via a proxy server, and in my experience the proxy server also filters content. I should have thought that ad-blocking would be a logical extension.

I use Privoxy at home, but I don't know whether it has the capability required of a corporate proxy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proxy server

Out of interest, are there any options for the likes of OpenWRT or similar that would allow ad-blocking to be installed on a home router without having to set individual web browsers to use a proxy?

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Proxy server

It does not work very well for most advertising networks because they heavily rely on javascript snippets. If you cut the download at the proxy it will make the web page look hideously fugly at best. The proxy does not necessarily have the correct information to produce a blank gif, jpeg, flash, etc of the correct size (there are idiots that leave some level of resizing to the browser).

5. sisk

I find that NoScript blocks most ads for me. That was never why I run it, but it has been a nice fringe benefit.

6. Nick Pettefar

Funding The Register

If The Register became a subscription site, could it still exist? Would enough people pay enough to offset the loss of advertising revenue?

One supposes that more than half of the current readers block the adverts...

(I guess that The Register also gets money from Microsoft.)

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Funding The Register

We get advertising money from all the big tech firms, not just MS. We then slag them all off, or occasionally pat them on the head. They enjoy this and pay us to do more of the same.

I'll let you lot draw the obvious inference...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like