back to article Hating on 'Like Farms': boffins trawl for Facebook fakes

An analysis of 1,400 Facebook accounts, more than 143,000 posts Liked, and more than a million pages could go some way to unmasking the techniques of “Like Farms” used to manipulate reputations on the content-with-ads network. The boffins, from Australia's (doomed) NICTA, University College, London, and the University of Iowa …

1. frank ly

Like!

I pleesed n happy with read this artical. Is a must read.

1. John Geek
      Devil

Re: Like!

you left out your link to your alibaba storefront where you resell bulk 'likes'.

2. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

You make very good poiunt. Thank s for this article.

http://www.ihopethesearchenginesimprovemywebsiteratingsintheirindexes.com

3. Laura Kerr
      Thumb Up

And OMFG, You Will Not Believe What Happens Next! 7 Videos Retailers Don't Want You To Know About. Click Here Before They're Banned!

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Likedin

See above

3. Mystic Megabyte
    WTF?

The bad spelling and grammar, the authors note, “suggests the opportunity to incorporate, in malicious/fake account detection tools, not only activity thresholds, but also other features such as lexical analysis, which is part of our future work”. that most users are stupid.

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, most net users are not native English speakers, and by that I mean US/UK/AU. On the other hand, Ich keine schreiben Deutsch, oh, forget it... Ich kann nicht in Deutsch zu schreiben, aber ich kann auf Englisch zu schreiben und verwenden Sie Google-zu übersetzen.

And that only took three tries using Google Translate and I am still not sure that the German means what I think. 20 years ago, I probably could have gotten by with my college German. Today...not so much. I didn't use it, other than trying to sing along with Ramstein, and I lost it.

1. Kubla Cant

most net users are not native English speakers, and by that I mean US/UK/AU

Cue angry responses in fractured English from Canada, Ireland, New Zealand...

4. Eddy Ito

Are you saying that of the roughly 1 1/4 billion users many are involved in a big circle jerk like?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. P. Lee

The Question Remains

Why would you want to fix this problem?

Is the compulsive desire to overcome a problem simply because it's there so strong that even supposedly intelligent people spend their time trying to make facebook better? Or is El Reg inaccurately using the term "boffin" to describe undergrads?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: The Question Remains

It'd certainly be disappointing if a Reg article covering some research result didn't elicit at least one anti-intellectual whinge questioning its utility.

There's an arms race between "bot" automated and semi-automated manipulation of online reputation networks and similar resources (product reviews, etc), on one side, and detection of such manipulation on the other. It involves a number of interesting issues in information security, natural-language processing, and weak AI, not to mention higher-level disciplines like rhetoric and lower-level implementation details such as graph theory. So there are ample grounds for useful primary research.

Widely-used reputation networks like Facebook have economic consequences, regardless of whether you personally find them interesting. So there's motivation for applied research as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like