back to article Benioff's Bulging Benefits: Salesforce CEO handed massive pay cheque

Salesforce.com's chief executive has been handed a massive $39.9m (£25.7m) pay packet, despite objections from a number of major shareholders related to its modest record of profitability. Shareholders narrowly approved the package for Benioff and the six other directors, totalling $81.6m (£53m) in 2015. Dutch pension company …

1. Mark 85

I'm surprised and not surprised

It's not surprising that the board grabbed and voted themselves 20X the profit. What is surprising is the shareholders went along with it. I'm wondering who the majority shareholders that carried the vote actually are.... the board?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm surprised and not surprised

Board likely controlled a lot of proxy votes even if they weren't majority in own right

Even if proxy indicates voting direction the way it's motion is written and the fact decision is made before any objections or discussion gives the board a lot of influence.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marginal loss

if they are making a small marginal loss then sounds like reducing exec payout would make them profitable, though I would put money on them laying off staff before that happens. Though most of the benefits from the layoffs wouldn't hen be wiped out by the exec bonuses for reaching profitability.

3. kmac499

Just remember; Sales staff always see their commission\pay based on the gross value of the sales\turnover they sign up, not the profit made on those sales.

In fact they usually get quite upset when you point out, that the gazillions of discounted stuff they just sold is not currently on the company product list or difficult to make or maintain, and will make us no money or even loose us money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not like Larry...

.... but I like to get money like him!

5. Hans 1

Salesforce losing money ?

> In May 2015, the firm banked its first operating profit in 18 quarters, while simultaneously confirming it will be back in the red again in the next trading period.

They definitely need to learn how to use their own software; maybe that software just does not work, I think salesforce customers should be refunded.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like