back to article Port of Hamburg to pave its roads with Cisco things

Cisco's scored a win for its Internet of Everything approach to running cities, with Hamburg Port Authority deciding to try out a “smart road”. Promising better traffic flow (and the resulting environmental benefits), the “smartROAD” will be built with a variety of environmental partners, and is Cisco's first such win in …

1. keithpeter
    Windows

Liverpool early to mid 1970s...

Dad had a friend who worked in a bunker in a cellar somewhere off the Dock Road or there abouts or near the town hall. I remember a row of CRT monitors set into grey desks with joystick controllers in front. As you moved the joystick, the monochrome CCTV cameras dotted around Liverpool city centre moved. Pressing a rocker switch on the end of the joystick zoomed in or out. Traffic flows were monitored visually as well as using pneumatic sensors set into the roads near traffic lights. A computer matched the traffic lights to the average speed of traffic through the city centre. The average speed was shown on a large display. It struck me at the time (as an abnoxious teenager) that the drivers of the cars throught they were in control with the illusion of agency, but really the computer program was in charge of the *average* movement through the centre, so that any relative advantage you gained in one section of road would result in a longer wait at a subsequent set of lights. [1]

I supose as the cost (both capital and energy to run) of computing devices continues to drop [2] we will see more of 'management' of cities. [2]

[1] (PDF, see slide 8 for the display section) http://www.ciht.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/df2d4cbb-435d-4f2c-bd044db69f02d0ef

[2] http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2012/08/how-low-power-can-you-go.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do I sound dissapointed to you?

I was expecting to read an article about a shipload of abandoned Cisco gear that had been ground up and used as paving...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019