back to article Hackers pop submarine cable operator Pacnet, probe internal networks

Submarine cable and data centre operator Pacnet was breached last month by hackers rummaging through its corporate network accessing emails and administration systems. Pacent was recently acquired by Australia's Telstra, which today disclosed the breach of a "critical server" and is now informing customers and regulators about …

1. P. Lee Silver badge

SQL Injection?

Program like its 1995!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SQL Injection?

The scary thing is the app probably was coded in 1995.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

METADATA...

That's all they took... METADATA. No biggy, remember, METADATA can't stop bombings at marathons, can't lead to the revelation of another person, contains nothing personal about you!!

/end oh-the-joy mode

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: METADATA...

No biggy, remember, METADATA can't stop bombings at marathons, can't lead to the revelation of another person, contains nothing personal about you!!

Yup, we definitely need a <sarcasm> tag, but just on the off chance you meant it, the obligatory link to a remark made by someone in public about meta data. Note that there was no indication he didn't mean what he said, and he's in a position to know.

1. Ole Juul

Re: METADATA...

"Yup, we definitely need a <sarcasm> tag, but just on the off chance you meant it, the obligatory link to a remark made by someone in public about meta data. Note that there was no indication he didn't mean what he said, and he's in a position to know."

I didn't have time to watch the whole thing so didn't catch the quote to which you refer. However I came across a quote by former NSA director Michael Hayden who in May of 2014 said, “we kill people based on metadata.”

PS: I don't think we need a <sarcasm> tag, but then I find it easy to recognize.

3. jake Silver badge

There's that "pop" meme again ...

Can anyone please point me to where this "cracked" variation originated?

4. DropBear Silver badge
    Trollface

I think I finally understand "less is more": reading the first line of the title "Hackers pop submarine" it was so much more awesome than the whole title... too bad it doesn't really apply I guess.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Secvurity...ever heard of it?

It's amazing these folks are so inept.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019