back to article The United States' first official BitCoin exchange goes live

The first government-approved BitCoin exchange in the US has gone live. As we predicted last week, the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYFDS) has given itBit Trust Company the first charter to be a virtual currency in the world's financial center. NYFDS superintendent Benjamin Lawsky said of the decision: "We …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Cubical Drone

If you can't find a bubble, I guess you just have to create your own.

3. NoneSuch

"We have sought to move quickly but carefully to put in place rules of the road to protect consumers and provide greater regulatory certainty for virtual currency entrepreneurs."

Translated: We can now monitor and record every single BitCoin transaction that goes through the place.

4. frank ly Silver badge

But, but ...

.... they used to shout out loud that Bitcoin is mostly used by drug dealers/users and terrorist weapons dealers and to evade legitimate financial controls and taxation. Are all those activities 'ok' now?

1. Cliff

Re: But, but ...

In fairness, those transactions all used USD previously, and that was fluidly traded as also being used for Legit purposes.

5. Mark 85 Silver badge

Hmmm...

<sniffs> <looks for the money trail> So who's attempting to pull this one off? This has a feeling like the Winklevoss twins are behind it. They invested heavily in it and are (or maybe were by now) the biggest cheerleaders for the currency. I'm guessing that they're losing money as the market falls. Other than shady malware types and drug purveyors.. is there really a valid use for it? I know the arguments but does anyone actually use Bitcoins on a daily basis? That will be real test.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That stock(?) photo

Fifteen years from now, those tablet thingies are going to be looking as dated as a CRT monitor does today. :-b

No relevance whatsoever to the article, but that's never stopped me from commenting in the past.

7. TakeTheSkyRoad

"As we predicted last week....."

Now you're trying to sound informed ?

Just a heads up but shares in the "Bitcoin Investment Trust" have been trading for a week now and you seem to have missed it.

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote

An article search by title shows in order.... itBit, Toaster, itBit, Hack, Ransomware, Mt Gox, Ransomware, Ransomware, Silk Road, Ransomware.... *sigh*

I guess I shouldn't complain at the progress but it's like reading the IT equivalent of the Daily Mail who speaking of which at least managed to mention a drive to push London as a "global bitcoin hub" (well, via reuters).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3041333/London-stakes-claim-global-bitcoin-hub.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019