back to article Sick of tech bro Silicon Valley? Oakland is building a better tech world – say Oaklanders

It's rare that the politician is the most blunt person in the room, but Oakland's Mayor Libby Schaaf pulled it off on Thursday afternoon at the Vator Splash tech conference in the city. Taking the stage to discuss "when will tech look like America?" the mayor shared her thoughts on how to increase diversity in the tech …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No hire for me

Personally if I saw someone drop rubbish on the floor I would never hire them for anything.

2. Number6

They need to do something about their transport network. I-880 is hell and there aren't many other sensible options available so the local housing costs are going to go way up, just like in San Francisco and South Bay.

3. getHandle

Good for them

Haters gonna hate, coders gonna code. Anyone who gives a fuck about colour/gender/creed is an arsehole (asshole for our cousins over the pond).

4. Craigness

Sexism

An all-female panel throwing out sexist terms of abuse like "bro". I'll give it a pass thanks.

1. h3

Re: Sexism

I wouldn't go anywhere near that either.

(I do work in an office where everyone other than me is female though. Doing programming).

Didn't actively seek it out and it is a none issue really.

2. John Gamble

Re: Sexism

"... throwing out sexist terms of abuse like "bro"."

Except they didn't. So... a) you didn't read the article, and b) you've just revealed something about your own paranoid self.

(Your issue, amongst your other issues, is with the headline writer. And given previous El Reg headlines, it's odd that this is the one that sets you off.)

5. Shirtlords.com

Pass the kool-aid

Look out folks, the diversity cult is at it again...

6. dan1980

It's funny that they talk about 'supporting local business' and specifically reference places where employees might go to get their lunches.

Tech companies moving in means rents and prices go up. Way up. That's fine if you already own your own place there and even better if you have an investment property. But for people working in the lower-paying jobs - like staff at the cafes and sandwich shops they want to 'support' - this becomes unmanageable. Rents can easily -and very quickly - become unaffordable for these people, forcing them further out.

It also tends to increases prices across the board - not only because rent increases for businesses but also because the jump in affluence that comes with the higher-paid staff at these companies means that places simply can charge more.

You also find that cheaper places start diminishing as they are either converted to or replaced by more premium versions. Thus the local supermarket in a previous affordable neighborhood closes and is replaced by a store with a 'hip' design that no longer sells 1kg bags of rice for $5, and instead sells 500g bags of 'organic' rice for $7.

Likewise sandwich shops in the now popular areas change from selling $5 sandwiches to $10 sandwiches on organic spelt.

As non-tech workers are forced further out, more have to drive in to work - or drive further, increasing their costs and this extra traffic means that parking goes up and people who might have been able to park for free (it's still possible in some places!) and walk 15 minutes to work now have to park in metered spaces, further increasing their costs.

In short, it's good for those who are already doing well - business owners love a more affluent customer base and people who own property love growth - but for all the 'normal' people, it can change things drastically and often very much for the worse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019