back to article Elon Musk wanted Google to buy Tesla, says ex-Vulture's book

The tech world's favourite car-maker, Tesla, came so close to the edge in 2013 that its boss Elon Musk nearly offloaded it to Google, according to a new book documenting the company's history. According to Bloomberg, the upcoming Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future fleshes out what in 2013 was only a …

1. Lostintranslation

A car company is pretty far from what Google knows

Page declined to discuss the deal with Vance, saying merely that a “car company is pretty far from what Google knows.”

Disturbing news for those of us who are planning a ride in one of their self-driving cars then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A car company is pretty far from what Google knows

Disturbing news for those of us who are planning a ride in one of their self-driving cars then.

Not for me - I never plan to touch any of them. I prefer kit built by companies who have done this for years and who are local enough to have to comply with pretty hard core safety measures. Google is a tad too casual with laws and compliance IMHO.

2. kmac499

"Cool Car, what is it ?"

A comment from a youngish guy who saw me ogling a Tesla in a car park a few days ago.

When I said go on then guess, he suggested maserati, jaguar ? Then his girlfriend noticed the huge iPad in the centre console and she was seriously impressed.

I've been passed by a couple on the motorway, in the mirror they look like an XJ Jag, but as they fly past they look like a Mondeo with a confusingly Toyota style badge on the back..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a bit unfair to always use the photo of their car on fire. Do you extend the favour to all other car companies? I'm sure they've all had cars on fire in the past.

1. BongoJoe
      Flame

Well, if El Reg want a picture of a Barbie & Ken Pile of Crap aka Freelander on fire than I am sure that I have got one of mine on file somewhere.

4. Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
    Joke

What will Hollywood do?

With gas burners, we can count on some impressive on-screen explosions because cars blow up like a pyromaniac's wet dream if they take even a ricochet. What are going to have with EVs? Localized electrical storms? Chain reaction lightning bolts? EMPs that shut down most of the grid in North America?

5. werdsmith Silver badge

Ultimate Plaything

Elon wants to spend his time playing with his space rockets, and who can blame him.

He can. If I could I would be playing with space rockets too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019