back to article Intel boosts low-end PCs, laptops with Atom-powered 'Braswell' SoCs

Without much fanfare, details have begun to emerge about Intel's latest line of Atom system-on-chips for low-end desktop PCs, and laptops. CPU World reports that Intel will offer four new Atom products based on its 14-nanometer "Braswell" process, to be marketed under the Celeron and Pentium brands. Each will be based on two …

1. mafoo

Interestingly...

The first reports on the new chips say their CPU are actually slower than the previous generation - opting for slightly better power consumption and better integrated graphics instead.

1. PleebSmash

Re: Interestingly...

That's probably the correct move for these SoCs.

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: Interestingly...

That isn't interesting...

It's fascinating....

Mind you, obviously graphically better than my 2010 era atom netbook, it can't do any better than 480p HD video.

2. Dan Paul

Product looking for a market

Considering that the actual cost of better chips to longtime laptop manufacturers is pretty low, why would you risk your reputation using crap like this?

Intel i3 and i5's meet the power versus performance argument enough. Using this Celeron stuff has to be for the really low end of the market, like landfill electronics, obsolete before they are a year old.

Do you remember the hardware specs required to run Vista? Woefully underspecified and woeful performance. That meant there were a lot of crap laptop hardware that could never run anything better than XP being used to run Vista.

This will be the same.

1. Crazy Operations Guy Silver badge

Re: Product looking for a market

These aren't for your standard laptops. These chips are targeted to thin devices like tablets and phones that have previously built with ARM chips. Besides, i3's and i5's require a lot more circuitry than these. At the very least, you'll need to slap on a PCH for it to be useful, the smallest of which guzzles 15W on top of whatever the CPU needs. These can be just wired to the various ports and peripherals directly (Might need an isolator or a resistor network depending on what its connecting to).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020