back to article Wannabe a nano-bot-manufacturing giant? Better cozy up to Apple

Apple's demand for minute mechanical gizmos in its iThings is more or less dictating who wins and who loses among MEMS manufacturers, analysts reckon. Supply-chain researchers at IHS said the Cupertino idiot-tax operation's use of Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS) and sensors in iPhones and iPods draws so much business …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alert

I'm sure they'd love to cosy up to Apple but then so did GT Technologies.

1. cray74

"I'm sure they'd love to cosy up to Apple but then so did GT Technologies"

Depends on the company. Texas Instruments winning or losing $500-$1000 million in Apple MEMS contract would be a kick in the tenders to TI, but survivable because a) that's under 50% of its 2013 net revenue and b) TI has a diversified portfolio with revenue from other markets. It can survive a losing division.

GT Technologies, meanwhile, bet its house, farm, bank, and blood of its firstborn child on Apple. When GT gambled and failed in a new field (sapphire production; its old field was building sapphire-making gizmos for sapphire producers), it had nothing left.

Well, it could still sell its body. I know there are some sapphire users and producers who have been very happy to start vertically monopolizing by purchasing GT's corpse for pennies on the dollar.

2. Dan Paul

So then Apple is a Monopolist?

Given that Apple likes to write exclusivity contracts to prevent the sale of product from a supplier to any competitor, Apple meets and exceeds the definition of a monopolist.

1. DougS Silver badge

Re: So then Apple is a Monopolist?

No, not unless that supplier has a monopoly in their relevant market.

2. Swarthy Silver badge
      Devil

Re: So then Apple is a Monopolist?

Not a monopolist, just a jerk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020