back to article Big Data high priest Stonebraker anointed with Turing Award

Michael Stonebraker of MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) has won the Association for Computing Machinery's (ACM) Turing Award. As a professor of computer science at the University of California, Berkeley, Stonebraker helped develop the Ingres and Postgres relational databases. He has …

1. Justin Clift

Awesome

PostgreSQL is going strong and growing well too. :)

2. thames

I listened to a podcast which interviewed him a couple of years ago. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately or I would link to it here. However, he came across as an eminently practical person who relied on hard measurements and real benchmarks instead of making assumptions and waving his hands about. He is a hugely influential figure in the modern software world through the work he has done, but his name isn't widely known because he wasn't someone to spend his time tooting his own horn or caring about getting ludicrously rich.

He's still doing very important work, involving things like SQL databases that are as fast as the popular No-SQL ones. He definitely deserves any and all awards given.

3. ntevanza

Good value

Stonebraker is good value. It is worth actually watching him, he is deadpan hilarious. And he's not afraid to call a dog a dog.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Good value

One site where you can see one of his presentations is http://slideshot.epfl.ch/play/suri_stonebraker, though I'm having trouble getting the video to play at the moment.

I'm looking forward to his Turing Award talk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019