back to article Hackable media box based on the Raspberry Pi compute module: Five Ninjas Slice

My original idea was to review the Raspberry Pi Compute Module. But the thing about the Compute Module is that it’s not an end-user product: it was designed for manufacturers looking for an ARM-based platform on which they can build devices they can sell. FiveNinjas Slice Media Player FiveNinjas Slice Media Player Unlike …

1. Sykobee

I think a 5x5 array of coloured LEDs would have been neater. And more "70s mainframe/sci-fi" too.

Is the Slice using the old RPi single-core ARM11 controller?

At least when it comes to be upgraded, you will only need a new slice, not a new box. In theory.

1. Zola

Although not yet available, a Pi2 Compute Module should be a (relatively cheap, sub-£30) drop in replacement although you'll need to reconfigure Kodi and rescan your library, etc. - a minor inconvenience considering the significant performance boost from the quad-core ARMv7 SoC and extra memory.

2. Anonymous Custard

An alternative

For those who already have a Pi (mk1 or mk2), an alternative could be the Plusberry Pi case. It has most of the features listed except the LEDs, and is already funded via Indiegogo. Does have the IR for the remote control, but doesn't actually come with a control itself (although most generic ones should work, if your TV doesn't have CEC to do it via HDMI anyway).

They've been a bit delayed from their original shipment date, but are due to land at the end of the April according to the latest updates. Got mine on order, to replace the current Lego case that my kids made for my Pi1.

1. batfastad

Re: An alternative

Nice tip on the plusberry!

I've been looking for a decent Pi case for ages. The way the wires sprout out of all sides is a bit annoying and having one with an integrated iR receiver would be decent. Like you I've fudged it with lego for now.

3. jason 7

With Kickstarter projects...

...always add on 4 months for delivery if at all.

Basically Kickstarter tends to show up those with great ideas and publicity skills but very little in the way of actual project management, customer service and delivery.

Take the ROCKI project, at least four updates a day during the funding stage then as soon as the funding finished ($250k) in November....silence. We finally started getting product in April. However, those that wanted the digital version are still waiting 18 months later. Support and customer service have been next to non-existent.

4. theOtherJT Silver badge

I'm curious how it talks to the SATA disk - is there some dedicated hardware on that board, or is it just a glorified SATA->USB bridge.

1. Tufty Squirrel

It's a USB->SATA bridge.

From the comments on the original announce of the compute module, http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-compute-module-new-product/

acb : So it won’t perform any better or be any more robust than plugging a USB-SATA dongle into an existing Pi? Isn’t there a way to bypass the USB layer altogether?

gert : The USB is the only high speed data interface which the BCM2835 has.

5. Lamont Cranston

I honestly don't see the point of this,

as it's just paying a hefty premium for a snazzy case and a remote, but if it raises the profile of the Pi as a media player, I'm all for it - get enough of these into peoples' houses, maybe the on-demand suppliers will start to take note (I'd love to be able to have iPlayer, Netflix, and what-have-you as workable add-ons for Kodi xbmc).

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: I honestly don't see the point of this,

Kodi already has a working iPlayer add-on. Runs fine on my overclocked Pi1.

At least it's working at the moment, until the next time the BBC change their streaming format to try and break it and other non-BBC apps like Get_iPlayer.

But I do entirely agree with your sentiment of having an "official" add-on for such things from a larger user-base, for all such stream sources (also things like Sky Go and 4OD). Especially in this day and age of things like YouView and other similar platforms.

2. beanbasher
      Happy

What I see is a Raspberry with a HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER. A quick edit of the partition table and you can boot from the flash and run everything from the HD. Oh bliss! Oh Joy!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Take a look at the Banana Pi. Chinese rip off of the RPi but it's got SATA.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ethernet

also wondering if the ethernet is still connected via USB too

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ethernet

So that's how that works. The 100mbit is the problem, nothing will date these devices faster than this. It's 2015, and if they can't factor in the power requirements for gigabit, the should refactor.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> The 100mbit is the problem, nothing will date these devices faster than this.

The review suggests that the device is only just capable of running 4K content, so it would seem that its 100mbit ethernet is matched to the capabilities of its GPU.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What is the point then, why not buy a Pi and stick with what is proven? How many cheap video decoders do we have now, do we need another?

Mini-ITX still seems to be the smallest affordable PC architecture that is worth a damn. Pi holds the throne on these little nothing video decoders, and rightfully so being it can be used in many other projects. With this it seems someone thought "Ooh, I can make a Pi too." and headed on over to kickstarter to fund a project that adds another shadow to the Pi.

Here in America, the Pi sells really well and isn't going anywhere any time soon until a board comes along that takes a little more than just video into consideration (in the same manner the Pi did with electronics, but in a different direction).

I guess wake me up when we finally get gigabit, sata and possibly ECC ram options for under 80usd...I need tiny NAS box.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or buy a Pipo for $100. A quad-core atom, gig-e, wifi, 2gb Ram 32Gb flash, comes with Windows 8.1 and runs kodi.

2. batfastad

Have a look at the Beaglebone Black

EDIT: Actually don't... that's not what I was looking for

7. jason 7

To be honest...

The Amazon FireTV does most of this for £80.

Have - Netflix/Prime/Plex/DLNA/Spotify/iPlayer/Pluto/YouTube etc. etc. all running perfectly smooth out of the box.

1. Alan Edwards

Fire TV/Plex

Plex on a Fire TV only does stereo audio out, multi-channel audio doesn't work. It's a limitation of the way third-party apps can use the Fire's media player software, it's not fixable by Plex.

Unless you need the internal storage I'd still go for a Roku, the 1 is down to £30 now.

1. jason 7

Re: Fire TV/Plex

Oh no...that's such a...(grits teeth) first world problem!

It still works as far as I'm concerned.

8. Colin Miller

LEDs turn of-and-on-able?

Can you turn off those LEDs? I can see them getting very annoying, very quickly. I normally put stickers over the power-on LED if they are too bright.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: LEDs turn of-and-on-able?

1. Spend 30 seconds with some PVC tape.

2. Wait awhile and spend five minutes configuring the LEDs through an app.

2. Tufty Squirrel

Yep, but it's presumably part of that kickstarter bonus thing. Kickstarter overfunding bonus - ability to disable the device's only USP.

And yeah, Ethernet is also over USB.

A far, far, better alternative would be one of Olimex's boards, probably the A20 Lime2, which has *real* SATA, *real* *gigabit* ethernet, more memory, and no annoying LEDs. For 30 quid.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks for linking that Tufty. If it had ECC RAM I'd buy 3 of them immediately. However, even without that, I'm on my way to buy 1 and try it out. With all these circuit boards on the internet, it's hard finding just the right one. I still can't find an all inclusive comparison of them, I know that would be tough an picky, but it would be nice.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One does wonder, why did they concentrate on the useless bits - like the insane amount of lights, and an aluminium case? It has an RF remote control, so if doesn't need to be in the line of sight, and besides who actually wants to see the case? Surely it would be better hidden from view? Who would want to look at another box? I get that people might want feedback from the LEDs, but you will get more feedback/detail from the TV screen - who will be looking at the Slice box?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YAMS

Yet

Another

Media

Server

Yaawwwn ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Full frame 3D MVC inbound

Full HD 3D support arriving for Raspberry Pi 1 & 2 (so Slice too), a first for any Kodi platform using the internal player (rather than a lashed together external player, if at all).

This update adds Full HD HDMI output (frame-packing). It is enabled by default but can be disabled in video acceleration settings.

When enabled, 3D modes will use full 1080p resolution (rather than half-SBS or half-TAB).

This is particularly useful for MVC content where you will get the full 1080p resolution for both eyes.

This is a first for Kodi. No other platform supports full resolution playback of 3D BluRay MVC files using Kodi's internal player.

Currently the gui will be rendered as half-SBS or half-TAB (and expanded), but the video will be full resolution. You can confirm the 3D mode with "tvservice -s" which will report "3D FP" when in full resolution mode.

Link

12. Dr Trevor Marshall

I just changed to Android on a CuBox

There is much better hardware available for a media center, and anybody familiar with programing a PI will be able to program them too. I just downloaded KitKat 4.4.4 for a CuBox, already rooted, and everything 'just worked'. There are no "will do it next year" items. I bought another CuBox (from NewEgg) for a Gigabit Ethernet SATA server, and from Ebay bought a 'Banana Pro', with case for an integrated SATA hard drive, for $69.

Sure, I have two PIs, but it is time to replace the server's 100Base-T and USB2 disk limitations. My PIs have done their job. There is an active ecosystem of small Linux (/Kodi/Android) systems out there now. Time to move on from our obsession with PI, IMO. Eben has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MPEG-2 support

There is the bonus of Slice / Pi vs Roku that Pi actually supports MPEG-2 (I'm guessing Slice have paid the licence fee for that). Roku don't, at least not on the Roku 3, and it is a complaint on lots of their forums.

It's the main reason I dumped the Roku 3, as I just rip DVDs onto a NAS without transcoding.

Amazon Fire TV can allegedly do MPEG2 on the ARM.

1. Dr Trevor Marshall

Re: MPEG-2 support

MX Player PRO on Android will play any file I throw at it - MPEG2 TS, anything...

except that you need to load the Dolby AC3 codec into the latest versions. It used to be there, but I guess there was a licensing dispute. Nevermind, XDA-developers is your friend...

14. MyffyW Silver badge
    Linux

Only one Pi compute module...tsk.

I remember a year or two ago some learned academic institute lashing together (with Lego) dozens of Pi's into a Beowulf cluster. Now they have crafted a Pi into a SO-DIMM form-factor I'd love to see a few Pi compute modules in some multi-slot shenanigans. Not, perhaps, necessary for a media player but one can dream.

15. Hyper72

Pi 2

I bought a Pi 2, an MPEG2 license, a cheap box and an SD card. Installed OSMC and added DNSMasq and DNSCrypt.

So I thus got a very nice home theater box, it plays movies via SMB from a USB HDD connected to my router, accepts AirPlay content and serves DHCP/DNS to my LAN. On the backend it connects to a DNS of my choice using an encrypted connection.

Cheap but much happiness.

16. Looper
    Coat

Who are you? The Medieval (Pi)per...?

with your LEDs shining forth, and cardboard twixt drive and PCB...

17. Jim84

Pirate media player - This can play NAS stored files

I think Apple TV can't play (potentially pirated) media files on your NAS drive (at least my flat hasn't been able to figure out how to do this with Apple TV). I tried to read if Roku could do this, but got lost in walls of text in review focusing on its Netflix support.

I think this is the main difference between Slice and Roku/Apple TV? Please correct/abuse me if I am wrong?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like