back to article Google dips toe into U.S. mobile market with 'small scale' offering

Google confirmed on Monday that it plans to enter the wireless carrier market Stateside within the "coming months". Top Mountain View mobile exec Sundar Pichai offered up scanty detail on the ad giant's biz strategy during a keynote speech at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. On Google's seemingly cautious MVNO plans, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't intend to be a carrier at scale

Yes, because everything you do is done small. Let me be first to call you out.

1. dogged

Re: We don't intend to be a carrier at scale

"until we just get bored and buy T-Mobile".

1. Rampant Spaniel

They should probably buy dish as well then, or just save the money for the 600MHz auction. Tmo is good but they need nation wide low band and they will need more spectrum in s couple of years, less if they keep up this growth rate coupled with the growth in per sub data use.

2. Irongut

"until we get really bored and sell the lot to China"

2. Alan Denman

Any spectrum auction approaching there ?

If big brother Google got involved the bidding would likely go totally mental.

The networks have those crazy 'only in the USA' $150 mobile plans to protect !

3. DougS Silver badge

So Google can gather more information on you?

It might be cheaper, but I'll definitely pass. At least if AT&T is gathering information on me they don't have mountains of other information to link it to like Google does.

1. DPepper

Re: So Google can gather more information on you?

I've heard this type of whine about Google's information gathering a million times, but I've never seen any proof that Google is in some way more devious or less transparent than the countless other companies who have access to our data. And given Google's track record, I would much rather Google have access to my data than the likes of Verizon, Lenova, LG and Samsung.

1. DougS Silver badge

Re: So Google can gather more information on you?

It isn't whether Google is more devious, it is the volume of information from a much larger and ever growing number of sources they have. The others you mention would have only a small piece of the whole, even if you have Verizon FIOS and cellular service, and Samsung phones and TVs, the data each can collect on your pales with what Google can collect if you use Android as well as Google Search and Maps on your PC.

Google Pay is the thing that's really dangerous here, IMHO. I don't have to worry about it because I'm an iOS user, and I don't particularly see the point of paying for stuff with my phone (whether Apple Pay or Google Pay) in any event. But imagine the power of knowing what products people search for, what ads for those products they see and where and when, what web sites related to those products they visit, and fill in the missing piece of what products people end up buying, from whom and how long after the first ads and web searches! Maybe even toss in what stores selling those products they visit in person (thanks to their phone's data collection) and Google is a marketers wet dream. How bad is advertising going to get if marketers figure out what things convert into purchases for you and for me, and can individually tailor their campaigns for each of us!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019