back to article Silent Circle revamps secure smartphone

Silent Circle ‪has lifted the lid of the Blackphone‬ 2 smartphone and ‪Blackphone‬+ tablet. Blackphone 2 – due in the in the second half of 2015 – will add a faster 8-core processor, three times more RAM, a longer-lasting battery, and a larger Full HD display. Blackphone+ will also debut in the second half of this year, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

There are already commercial products (like those from Good Technology), which offer sandboxing of private and corporate data/apps on mobile devices, primarily to reduce corporate fear of BYOD. Good rely on remote proxy key servers, PFS and other good tricks to make the sessions Quite Hard To Compromise/Crack (QHTC, I will register that acronym. right away).

If the BlackPhone can offer seriously good privacy as well, they may be onto something that corps will buy. Assuming of course that TLA obstinancy and stupid legislation don't completely undermine all people's faith in such tech solutions first.

Anon for the usual reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

However, Good apps simply don't work for many of my colleagues, and is yet another example of Corporate IT making their lives easier at the expense of productivity of the entire rest of the company.

Check out the Play store comments. It's BYOD gone horrifically wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Either that's a giant hand in that picture...

...or I'm getting used to larger phones.

3. Rocksalt

And yet for all its cleverness

you still have to put a cracked network sim into the super secure phone rendering it pretty much pointless

Until the encryption key are reset in SIMS, or a new batch of proven sims can be released... no phone is safe form the spooks

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: And yet for all its cleverness

If you are using GSM voice for calls then it is recorded anyway, because the nice men from the TLAs are very good friends with the nice men from the Telcos. They don't need to crack the SIM.

If you are using encrypted messaging on the phone then you are obviously a terrorist anyway

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh, tired of all the security stuff. Not like I have anything to hide, other than the common knowledge that organized crime sits comfortably atop all of our 'elected' governments.

If someone hacks my phone, they make out with a bunch of beach pictures and my favorite songs.

And I'll have to reset some passwords, which is indeed annoying, I can't ever seem to remember passwords once I changed them to something else for any reason.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like