back to article Is cloud the answer to all your storage problems?

The ‘information explosion’ has become a cliché of the IT industry. Pretty much every storage vendor presentation, press release and sales brochure will tell you that data volumes are increasing exponentially, before pitching whatever product or service is being punted. As discussed in a previous article, however, the focus …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Mushroom

No!

How many more times do I have to tell you.

2. Little Mouse

The answer to ALL your problems? Definitely not.

Some of them? Probably. Assuming you're not just a jumped-up "Technical Architect" who thinks the Cloud is simply a convenient way to off-load all risk & responsibility onto someone else.

Bitter? Me?

3. Haku

One big problem with online storage is when you become too reliant on them and they shut down.

Such as Megaupload etc., with Rapidshare being the most recent to throw the towel in real soon now.

https://torrentfreak.com/file-sharing-icon-rapidshare-shuts-150210/

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Stop

Re: One big problem with online storage is when you become too reliant on them and they shut down.

To be fair, there's a world of difference between an corporate oriented provider, and one that hopes to make money slinging ads.

Most of the dodgier filesharing sites worked by hosting copyright material and charging users to download it, with the promise of a cut of the action for the uploaders.

However you're still at risk of single point of failure - plus having data stolen (unless you encrypt it, and face jail time in Camerons Britain).

1. pig

Re: One big problem with online storage is when you become too reliant on them and they shut down.

"To be fair, there's a world of difference between an corporate oriented provider, and one that hopes to make money slinging ads."

Not with 2e2 there wasn't.

4. Andy Non Silver badge

Business use, maybe. Personal use maybe not.

I don't even have any cloud accounts. Don't need or want one. All my data is stored encrypted on a 1TB drive with copies on a 2nd similar drive stored away from the first (in case of fire).

Such drives are dirt cheap nowadays; how much would it cost to upload/download 1TB to the cloud? How secure is data on the cloud? What if the cloud company goes tits up? Cloud: No thank you.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Thumb Up

Re: Business use, maybe. Personal use maybe not.

Upvote for this concise summary. Pretty much all you need to know.

Now, as Charlie Brooker would say (to the "Cloud People"), "Go away!"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That and the fact that for cloud storage you generally need to use a web browser or some sort of customer application to upload and download your data. With a disk drive you get a drive letter/mount point.

I've got two external HDDs hanging off cheapo Raspberry Pis, in two locations 400 miles apart. I can get to them anywhere in the world via VPN. These also do many other things, are encrypted and nobody has access other than me. Why on Earth would I need cloud storage?

Back in the corporate world, it still amazes me how many people put so much overkill into storage. OK, so tier 1 applications are going to need something good, but for a dumping ground you don't need fancy pants storage arrays. A couple of cheap arse Linux/BSD boxes with a bunch of disk drives in two or more distinct locations with rsync set up is all that's needed in most cases.

2. phuzz Silver badge

You can use both. Have your onsite backups on disk, and periodically backup offsite, (or 'into the cloud' if you prefer).

There's upsides and downsides to both, but the smart sysadmin spreads their risks.

5. Pallas Athena
    Holmes

"is X the answer to all Y problems" - for all X and all Y, the answer is no.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hah hah

The people who have spent years building expensive, overly complex inhouse storage systems are hardly going to vote for the cloud option, are they?

Does not mean that the cloud juggernaut will not run them over anyway though. Get on it or get under it....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hah hah

>The people who have spent years building expensive, overly complex inhouse storage systems are hardly going to vote for the cloud option, are they?

You're right. They're probably not going to be tempted by being locked into overly complex, outsourced cloud options over which they have no control and no confidence.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: hah hah

Indeed.

"We need to keep the encryption keys here, we need them to keep them secure, it's part of our compliance requirements. No, you don't understand, we NEED to retain all copies of the keys, you can't have them, it's a requirement of our compliance"

"Still don't get it? OK, goodbye Mr massive corporate cloud provider, we'll spend our cash with NetApp thanks.".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like