back to article Chinese food safety officials drank so much during working lunch that one of them DIED

A bunch of Chinese government officials in charge of food safety drank so much at a working lunch that one of them died. In an extreme example of when booze-ups go bad, seven bods working for the food and drug administration in central China’s Hubei province have been penalised after a colleague they accompanied on a hardcore …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Party etiquette

If you host a dinner/lunch party in China, you are expected to get your guests to drink as much as possible. The host typically orders all of the alcohol. And if the guests were his employees, they would want to give face to their boss, and drink everything put in front of them. And when you are drinking distilled rice alcohol, the results could be deadly.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Windows

Re: Party etiquette

Oh yes. IIRC "toasting tradition" mandates drinking multiples of the quantity your host imbibes.

That's me in the pic after a tour of duty.

2. dan1980

Suddenly China looks very appealing.

1. Allan George Dyer

@dan1980 - wait untill you've tasted the stuff before deciding, it can be described as an "acquired taste" or "regional delicacy".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And when you are drinking distilled rice alcohol, the results could be deadly.

No less or more dangerous than vodka, or whisky, or brandy or any other distilled alcohol.

He died of alcohol poisoning, nothing to do with rice wine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And when you are drinking distilled rice alcohol, the results could be deadly.

Somebody care to explain the down votes???

Ideally one of the guilty??

1. phil dude
        Joke

Re: And when you are drinking distilled rice alcohol, the results could be deadly.

don't stress yourself over apparent irrational down voting.

Downvotes are just monkeys who want bananas and have to push the button.

The machine is broken, but they push the button and hope...

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah, I suspected rational answers would have been thin on the ground...

Oh well, happy Halloween and all the best for 1973.

2. John Bailey

"Somebody care to explain the down votes???"

Sinophobia.

"Ideally one of the guilty??"

Not very likely,.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Somebody care to explain the down votes???"

The original poster said "distilled rice alcohol" you said "rice wine".

Two completely different things.

Fail.

3. Winkypop Silver badge

The booze was probably safer

Chinese imports

4. Harry the Bastard
    Pint

hahaha...cof, cof, COF, gak, gasp, phew

“China has banned officials from drinking at lunchtime, to purge the tradition of mixing booze and business,” a local report stated.

nearly choked on my bolly when i read that

/where's the champagne flute icon?

5. Anonymous Blowhard

File under "Research"

Did the others file a report on the incident? It was a working lunch after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: File under "Research"

"Did the others file a report on the incident"

And did they dock his pay for not returning for the afternoon shift?

1. Bob Wheeler

Re: File under "Research"

Did they claim the lunch, liquid and solid, on expences?

6. Graham Marsden
    Pint

"the tradition of mixing booze and business"

Is it Beer o'Clock in China yet?

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Ancient Rome

Too bad the stiff, pun intended, didn't find the vomitorium and spew forth the evil spirits which caused his demise and return to the table.

Yes, yes, I know the vomitorium was used for something completely different. Insert Joke Icon here so I can put up the beer icon!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Ancient Rome

yeh, it meant Exit I think. The Romans didnt bother to leave their couches they just turned around and heaved - they had the slave manpower to clean up afterall

8. Kubla Cant

all of his colleagues and his boss were penalised for drinking during work hours

Probably unnecessary. If one of them drank enough to kill himself, I'd guess the others woke up wishing they were dead too.

9. James Pickett

There's always one who spoils it for everyone else...

10. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

And I thought it was bad in Belgium...

My Belgian boss used to order beers while we looked at the menu, and then a bottle of wine between two over dinner - when we used to go for lunchtime meetings at the resataurant opposite the office. Having come from working in the UK to Brussels, I wasn't quite expecting that much drinking. In his previous job he'd kept a bottle of whisky in his desk drawer, for the regular Friday afternoon 2 hour lunch followed by sitting around drinking the afternoon away in the office sessions.

Whereas I thought an "office bottle" was something Phillip Marlowe had, because he had a drink problem.

Admittedly I did once have a lunch involving 3 bottles of wine between two of us (plus coffee and brandies), but that was a customer thanking me for something I'd already agreed to sort out, so there was a minimal amount of meeting, and an awful lot of drinking and eating.

I suppose we did once sponsor a trade association Christmas breakfast. We paid for a glass of bubbly and a fried brekkie. I allowed myself half a glass, as I had plenty of time before my first meeting. But one guy got there at 6:30, hit the Guinness hard, and by the time things broke up at 8:30, he'd necked a glass of bubbles and 5 pints of the black stuff. He then went on to work, designing drinking water systems. I did wonder how many deaths we were responsible for that day, as a few of the others went to work on several Guinnesses. Whereas I ended up 12 stories up on a rooftop, with an only knee-high parapet, in a 20 knot December wind - glad that I was sober, but also wishing I had a few drinks inside me.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Uh?

They were not drinking...they were testing the products available to consumers. I guess they did it the old way because the testing machine was under maintenance?...

12. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

the food and drug administration

WTH does anyone expect from a department aimed at dispensing food and drugs?

13. handle1ew

Working Lunch - not a time to booze

Drinking excessively on a working lunch or not is not really advisable. We learned from this.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what the family of the one who died can say about this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like