back to article Facebook: Hey guys, come share all your securo-blunders with us!

Facebook is teaming up with other big names on the interwebs to create a security information sharing portal, dubbed ThreatExchange*, which went live on Wednesday. ThreatExchange is billed as a platform that enables security professionals to “share threat information more easily, learn from each other's discoveries, and make …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>> Privacy activists are dead against the idea, ... because of more general fears that information sharing

>> represents another way for the NSA to hoover up yet more data into its vast data centre.

The real beneficiaries, if security bods can be lured into sharing vulns on social media, are likely to be the hackers, who will find themselves gifted with a huge library of potential exploits.

2. DeBru

cert error when connecting to https://threatexchange.fb.com/, cert is for *.wordpress.com from go daddy, would not have expected that.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Remove the S and it should load. We've updated the story.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"We are committed to protecting people's privacy"

Funny, I always have a gag reflex whenever the notion of Privacy gets anywhere near Facebook.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: "We are committed to protecting people's privacy"

... by storing it on our servers so we can be the ones selling it at a profit!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A certificate common name/hostname mismatch and wordpress admin login for the site publicly accessible, not the most auspicious of starts for a security site. Personally I wouldn't submit my details on there.

5. mark jacobs
    FAIL

Considering FB store your password in a server in Japan somewhere, and it keeps coming back to the browser as soon as you enter your username, no matter how you try to clear all stored passwords in Firefox, I will not be going near this tripe any time soon. FB users beware - your details and passwords are available to those who can pay enough. There is no security on FB. Close your accounts! You have been warned!

6. 0laf

Lol yeah I'm going to air my dirty laundry on a service owned by a data mining giant that makes it's living through advertising and selling data.

Being able to have frank discussions about security and incidents with peers can be invaluable but it goes without saying you need to trust everyone there and respect the Chatham House rule.

Is FB going to do that?

7. Tree

Zuckerberg's Suckers

People who post sensitive info on Facebutt are dumb fucks. It's like Gurgle wanting to safeguard your identity. They say " Trust me!!!" Then change terms of use.

8. Ashley Ward

It's worth noting that UK Gov as already set up a similar service for UK corporations which has been going for a couple of years now: https://www.cert.gov.uk/cisp/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like