back to article SWINGBELLIES! Take heed! Drinking WINE is good for your LIVER

Great news today for those who haven't seen their feet lately and who enjoy a slurp of red wine: chemicals in dark grapes have been found to protect the liver from the harmful effects of being a fatty. Glugging red wine - or munching actual grapes, should that be your bag - doesn't prevent or reduced actual embulgement. What …

1. Pete 47

Of course if you really want to protect your liver..

Eat *saturated* fat which has the neat benefit of being nearly wholly protective against liver damage caused by....alcohol.

How do researchers shag rodent livers for study? why give them a high fat diet made of some crummy polyunsaturated fat(s) or hydrogenated veg oil, no alcohol required.

Of course drinking alcohol AND eating lots of "Heart healthy" vegetable oils will do the trick nicely in humans too.

Polyunsaturated vegetable fats. Just say NO.

1. JeffyPoooh Silver badge
      Pint

After Paleoanthropology...

...'Health and Dietary' (advice du jour) is the weakest of the sciences.

Random advice is literally better, as it's wrong only one-half the time.

1. phil dude
        Joke

Re: After Paleoanthropology...

Or as the poster says , follow the pub landlord "Breakfast of champions , bacon egg butty, cures all hangovers on smell...."

P.

2. JassMan Silver badge

Seems like the French are rather clever

They have been eating foie grass entier à la cartagene for years. Lovely fatty meat product with built-in antidote, and it tastes quite nice to boot. Make sure you buy from an ethical producer (yes - they do exist,) as the commercial method is a worthy target for animal rights protesters.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2lewd

very lewd image

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: 2lewd

Is that a female body shown in the photograph at the head of the article?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 2lewd

Does it make it any less lewd if it is Lewis Page rather than the female form?

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Good news!

I'll raise a glass to that ---> should be filled with wine, I know

Wadyamean, you need a different glass for wine?

;-)

1. psychonaut
      Angel

Re: Good news!

whadyamean you use a glass?

1. Truth4u

how else would you measure out a pint of wine?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Drink it while in the bath until your volume expands 1 pint

1. Truth4u

What apparatus do you have to measure this? I tried drawing lines on the side of the bath but they were too close together

1. psychonaut

if you must subject the wine to another vessel, you need one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giant-Wine-Glass-glass-bottle/dp/B000HT1YSG

2. Martin Budden Bronze badge

What apparatus do you have to measure this? I tried drawing lines on the side of the bath but they were too close together

Divert the bath outflow to a bowl sitting on some kitchen scales. Get in the bath, fill with water right up to outflow. You are now ready to start measuring one pint of wine. Drink wine until scales read 135 MicroJubs. Congratulations, you have finished measuring one pint of wine while at the same time protecting your liver and getting clean(er).

5. macjules Silver badge
    Facepalm

And why would I want to be hit by Mike Tyson?

Enough red wine and I couldn't give a t*ss who hit me.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Sure, at least not until the hangover.

Then . . . OUCH.

6. Identity
    Holmes

This is news?

Why— we've known about this for yonks! Yonks of plonk!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Store-front wine making outfits - recommended

Virtually as cheap as homemade, but only about 5% of the effort. Pay, yeast tip, wait, bottle.

Our wine cellar is presently stocked with about 300 bottles. Soon to be closer to 400. Even drinking several bottles per week. Typical price is about $5 each. All are at least good, and some are exquisite.

Your jurisdictional rules may vary.

8. phil dude
    Boffin

El reg needs to read the article...

Did anyone ACTUALLY read this article?

The compound they used is ellagic acid which has naff all chance of passing through the gut with out being munched on by bacteria ( the clue is it is too big to diffuse so it must be broken down).

You can put any number of things on a bunch of cells and I'm sure they'll dance. That doesn't mean they aren't responding in vivo, it is just unlikely the gut will present as much material. To their credit the authors point out the mouse gut is not a good model for humans.

I would be more persuaded if they had put the mice on treadmills and forced them to do exercise as well. Note, they did measure oxygen uptake on some human cells, but to be a really effect test varying the metabolism would be better in vivo so we know it is "normal". Inbred lab mice in sedentary conditions might be a good model for the worst of humanity, but it is a very weak association otherwise, because the assumption is the liver is working properly.

Finally, I noticed they cite themselves and the previous study where the experiments were done and this data is not available to me, how about El Reg? I'd be interested in seeing the mouse samples.

El Reg D- , please see me after class.

P.

1. Martin Budden Bronze badge
      Coat

Re: El reg needs to read the article...

I'd be interested in seeing the mouse samples.

I can't imagine why this would be of interest, but who am I to argue: clickety

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019