back to article Four senators call for federal probes into Verizon 'supercookies'

Verizon's sweet tooth for cookies has dunked it in more hot water after four Democratic senators urged the US Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to examine the firm's practice of tracking customers' web habits. Senators Bill Nelson (D-FL), Edward Markey (D-MA), Richard Blumenthal, (D-CT), and …

1. DougS Silver badge

"corporations being able to peek into the habits of Americans without their knowledge or consent"

Don't those fools at Verizon realize only government is supposed to be able to peek into the habits of Americans without their knowledge or consent?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"corporations being able to peek into the habits of Americans without their knowledge or consent"

Hell, it was probably the Republicans who authorized Verizon to trial this....

1. Diogenes Silver badge

no dems all the way

Don't let political feelings get in the way of facts :-)

"Back in 2012, Verizon..."

Democrat Obama elected 2008 therefore FCC full of democrat appointees.

Democrat majority congress 2009-11

Democrat majority senate 2007-2015

1. Nym

Re: no dems all the way: RE; politicos deciding security policy

You'd be amazed how little some people knew about what actually went on during the closing days (well, years) of the Vietnam war. Since I made that "some people" you know I'm still afraid.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was being sarcastic the entire do nothing congress is shameful... Red or Blue who cares...

2. Aslan

Verizon = Liars

Also, Verizon is required to provide open access to the 700MHZ spectrum. Open access means any device, any use of the data. A relative had a Verizon phone utilizing the 700MHZ spectrum. Verizon blocked access to tethering on the phone despite a data plan having been purchased. Verizon's response was that you could download an app to share the data, but they were still going to block tethering. as included with the phone.

3. skeptical i
    FAIL

A colleague on Verizon claims to get phone calls

from people who say "you were just on our website, would you like to take a survey?" They must like abuse, they keep calling despite his responses that can not be printed where children might see.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So I clicked on the link to read this story...

... and El Reg's ad server provided me an advertisement for Verizon.

The irony heuristics hit the mark this time.

5. Eddy Ito Silver badge

Translation: They stumped $450k on Obama and $159k on Romney, why not us?!!!!

6. Coastey Is Back
    WTF?

Intentional Viruses Click High-Jacking & Self Inflicted DoS to slow site during Auction

Background

As a customer of Verizon Wireless a publicly traded company, that falls under, statutory federal requirements, as wireless services and products. Verizon gives or award's customers with "Verizon Points" these points can be redeemed in a few methods e.g., Points + Cash, Points Auction instant rewards. These awards can be from gift cards to electronic devices, and sports apparel etc...

On or about February 2, 2015, I noticed strange actions, on this auction website that is governed by a series, of federal laws established to protect consumers, from dishonest, deceiving, premediated, and manipulated predetermine outcomes. This Practice(s) used federally governed wireless networks and interstate violation, of these laws. Verizon knowingly engaged in these actions of their own freewill with malicious intent to cause harm to its customers. Verizon combined USD and points in these transactions complicating this scheme to deprive its clients, of monetary enrichment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019