back to article NASA: Give us JUST 0.5% of the federal budget and we'll take you to MARS and EUROPA

President Obama has proposed raising the NASA budget to $18.5bn in 2016 - and the space agency says it would use the funds to plan missions to the water-moon Europa and to capture asteroids and bring them back to Earth's orbit for study. The budget proposal would raise NASA's funding by $519m. NASA's administrator Charles …

1. Mark 85

Ted Cruz

Well, if it's up to him and his ilk, NASA is doomed. I hope sharper minds prevail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Ted Cruz

Here is what the article says:

"Republican senator Ted Cruz has been appointed as the congressional manager of NASA and he's said he wants to cut costs where possible. It may be that more NASA programs face the axe as the horse-trading over cash begins."

Notice the lack of a quote? We're led to understand that Ted is a mean ol' science budget slasher, with only the slenderest of reeds to prop up the assertion. But heck, that's just peanuts compared to all his other heinous crimes, so who cares if it's "really true" or not?

Could be, but I'd like to see exactly what Ted really said, in full, and make up my own mind. Particularly since he hasn't actually slashed in anger yet.

1. Mark 85

I'll assume you're not in the States as this bozo has been talking running for President and pushing his agenda for many years.

So......

Quick Google News for "Ted Cruz" + "science"... The first three will give the flavor plus one more just for the climate people.. This really isn't a good thing. I think NASA will be lucky to afford a model rocket by the time this is over with.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/ted-cruzs-nasa-oversight-sparks-criticism

http://gizmodo.com/8-dumb-quotes-about-science-from-new-nasa-overseer-ted-1678965577

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/ted-cruz-nasa_n_6456270.html

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120180/climate-denier-ted-cruz-may-lead-senate-science-subcommittee

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The sites you cite I would characterize as center-left to far-left. Can't we just deal with Tech here without having to slant at each other?

1. Mark 85

You're obviously right, of course.

But since this article about the NASA budget and Cruz is go-to guy on the Science and Space Committee and he's made his stands pretty clear on Science and Space spending it's relevant.

2. localzuk Silver badge

@Big John - ah, so you ask for evidence and when it is presented (along with how to get more), you're not happy due to it coming from left leaning sites. What evidence would be good for you?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Gee, what about 'evidence' that doesn't read like this:

"I don't know if you're aware, but he's completely fucking batshit insane. Full bore ultra-right wing anti-science whack job with added Jesus."

I just did a fast check and apparently Ted's main science crime is that he's a climate change denier. Oh no! Quick, hide the children! That man is batshit insane!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

He's a fuck of a lot more crazy than being a climate change denier, although that's pretty fucking crazy. He's pretty anti science up and down the whole of the spectrum, and touts god as the cause and reason for most things. He has demanded evolution not be taught and so on and so forth. He is fucking batshit looney tunes insane with added sky fairy. Lock 'im up, and then melt the key down for use in deep core drilling.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

It's Ted Cruz. I don't know if you're aware, but he's completely fucking batshit insane. Full bore ultra-right wing anti-science whack job with added Jesus.

NASA's fucked.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Who appointed him? And who appointed the person who appointed him?

Would just like to be sure how this works before deciding that somebody higher up is saying nice things about NASA in public but is still swinging the axe behind the scenes.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I applaud the Outward Urge, but...

"NASA is firmly on a Journey to Mars. Make no mistake, this journey will help guide and define our generation."

No arsehat, your generation will be defined by 10-year-long recession followed by monetary collapse, permanent warfare in foreign lands for no discernible reason, extreme surveillance, a transformation of public forces to unaccountable authoritarian outfits working outside the law, and craven, despicable behaviour of people in public service not seen since the fading days of the roman empire. Whether it will come to a nuclear exchange over a neoconnish to enact "regime change in Moscow" come hell or high water may well be seen very soon indeed.

the horse-trading over cash begins

Meanwhile, a bit further down the road, where the rubber hits it:

DoD Releases Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Proposal:

President Barack Obama today sent Congress a proposed Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 Department of Defense budget request of $585.3 billion in discretionary budget authority to fund both base budget programs and Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO). ... As the department rebalances the joint force after 13 years of war, it confronts an uncertain fiscal environment in the absence of congressional action to reverse sequestration (i.e. reductions in the rate of increase, ed.). The geopolitical events of the past year only reinforce the need to resource DoD at the president’s requested funding level as opposed to current law. As the budget makes clear, a return to sequester-level funding would be irresponsible and dangerous, resulting in a force too small and ill equipped to respond to the full range of potential threats to the nation.

1. DNTP

Re: I applaud the Outward Urge, but...

Hey, don't be so cynical. If we found intelligences on Mars that we could go to war with for no discernable reason, pass laws allowing for the unregulated corporate exploitation of Martian resources, proclaim that everyone who emigrated could own rocket launchers, discriminate against women and all minorities, and refuse to vaccinate their children…

…why, we could be set up on Mars in a month!

3. Sebastian A

Good grief...

Literally one percent of the US military budget (approx $6Bn) could keep NASA expanding the boundaries of human knowledge, but noooo. Killing people is far more important.

4. zaax

In the mean time Russia and the rest start mining the moon.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

France I could understand, but I didn't know Russians were that interested in cheese.

1. Shrimpling

As part of the argument about Ukraine all cheese imports from the EU have been banned by Russia.

They are now looking for new sources of cheese so it wont be long until they are up there.

2. Down not across
      Joke

In the mean time Russia and the rest start mining the moon.

They may want to look out for Götterdämmerung

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. TonyWilk

Fundraising

I would like to think that raising a few $billion for space exploration shouldn't be too hard if you can scam up $5m+ for some bits of cardboard with cartoons of exploding kittens on 'em.

Sadly, I think I do live in a dreamworld.

7. stucs201

All these worlds

are yours except

Europa

Attempt no

landing there

That said a proper investigation of Europa's ocean is one thing I'd definately like to see.

8. John Tserkezis

NASA: Give us $18.5bn and we'll take you to Europa and beyond

So what? Give me $18.5bn, and I can fix Sydney's bus network.

A 2Km trip takes about 25 minutes limping along with a cane. Public transport is three buses and an hour and a half. To my old job, 35 minutes with a motorbike. 2 fucking hours by public transport.

Europa is piss easy, stop wasting your time and try our bus network for a real challenge.

Homer Simpson was right: Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians.

</rant off>

9. Kharkov
    FAIL

There's ANOTHER problem too...

Cruz Control issues aside, there is another problem too.

One of the major costs of doing the Europa mission is... the launcher!

Yes, they plan to use... SLS. So that's one-point-six BILLION dollars right there. If only there was some way to save on money AND still get there in three years or less...

Oh, wait, there is! Put the probe on a Falcon Heavy and take it to LEO - 53 tonnes so that's lots of volume/mass for a really good probe. Launch a second Falcon Heavy with a propellent tank and an engine - 53 tonnes of fuel, oxident & engine will get you to most places in the Solar System pretty quickly. The fuel tank docks with the probe and gives it a long, powerful shove towards Europa all the while saving... MORE THAN A BILLION DOLLARS!

But... Heavy Sigh... as long as NASA's stuck with building SLS, they're also stuck with having to use it so cheap, plentiful probes in the future? Nope! Watch some politician, despite having previously mandated NASA to build SLS (and blocking them from using anything else) score a few points on TV by saying, "Two billion dollars or more to go and look at Europa? What a waste of money!"

1. cray74

Re: There's ANOTHER problem too...

"Yes, they plan to use... SLS."

No, that's an option for the mission. An Atlas V 551 with Venus and Earth gravity assists is the baseline.

"Put the probe on a Falcon Heavy and take it to LEO - 53 tonnes so that's lots of volume/mass for a really good probe. ... The fuel tank docks with the probe and gives it a long, powerful shove towards Europa all the while saving... MORE THAN A BILLION DOLLARS!"

That sounds good until you remember how expensive "really good probes" get. Cassini, Curiosity, Hubble, and other "science battleships" are more expensive than an SLS launch.

Further, your suggestion is to try the novel idea of launching a 53-ton probe (even if mostly fuel, that'll be a record) and then depend on an in-orbit docking maneuver with a 53-ton booster (also a new trick). That's a lot of new engineering and development for a deep space probe, which means fortunes will be spent.

Point being: your proposal takes launcher savings, spends them and a lot more money on a new, complicated probe. You'd be better off just using a single Falcon 9 Heavy launch for Europa Clipper or, better yet, stick to the Atlas V 551 baseline and practice patience for its 6-year trip to Jupiter.

10. Roj Blake Silver badge
    Coat

Cameron

Hasn't Cameron promised us referendum on Europa?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Cameron

That's nothing. Nigel Farage has offered us independence from Europa...

11. AbelSoul
    Alien

Pushing more ambitious plans?

Some at NASA are pushing for a more ambitious plans, however. This would involve putting a lander on the surface and drilling down into the ice, either mechanically, or by using heat to melt itself down through the surface and then releasing a submarine to explore the water below.

Well, if you're going there anyway, you might as well push for the landing and drilling part.

Please make this happen.

1. Neil B

Re: Pushing more ambitious plans?

@AbelSoul: Let's get something in orbit and the surface mapped, *then* worry about space-submarines.

12. Simon Harris

What could possibly go wrong?

" to capture asteroids and bring them back to Earth's orbit for study."

I prefer my asteroids a nice safe long way away thank you!

13. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

'Roid snatch?

Insert joke (HERE).

Thanks, you've been wonderful. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. I'm outta here.

14. Lord Egerton
    Paris Hilton

Time for Europe to lead the way?

Out of interest, what's ESA's annual budget in comparison.

If we don't use the expensive SLS and use Falcon/Ariane rockets like @Kharkov suggests then surely ESA should be aiming to overtake NASA and become the defacto space agency.

As much as I admire NASA it does perplex me when they (US Govt) put someone like Ted Cruz in charge of their budget. What ever happened to the 'American Dream'? I think I've been watching too much House of Cards lately though....

Paris because...it's ESA's HQ

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous-Coward-WhoKnows

NASA is just one of a great many government bureaucracies that needs to go to the guillotine. I like the way the US moved from NACA to NASA when they needed to re-focus on space instead of just aero.There needs to be a new approach that involves the entire World, one that can make use of the new, lower cost rockets like SpaceX can provide, without all of that baggage that NASA currently drags along. Let's face it, NASA used the NAZI rocket team to get to the moon, they just funded it!

16. aberglas

Kill the ISS white elephant

The space station has never served any purpose other than to exist. Along with the shuttle, it wastes huge amounts of funding that could be much better spent. And let's not forget the Webb tellescope.

17. Andy Livingstone

Has sub-ed been fired?

The new one is much better. The other one would not have missed any opportunity to see Uranus within that headline.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like