back to article Port authority: Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock

Intel's Thunderbolt interface is the most impressive external I/O you can get on a consumer PC. But as befits a luxury interface, it comes at luxury price. There's a computer in the cable, for a start. All of this means that Thunderbolt's great promise – one cable to carry all your I/O, for easy docking – has been kept out of …

1. Detective Emil
    Meh

Needs optional driver to charge iDevices fast

Just got one of these. While pretty much everything works fine out of the box, it turns out you need to download a tiny and none-too-obvious driver from Belkin's site to make it push more than 500mA from its USB ports to charge suckling iDevices.

2. jason 7

One of those bits of tech...

...that will pass me by I reckon.

3. Alan Thompson

Fail Again

A minimum of 3 Thunderbolt Ports is needed for true UHD multi-monitor support (1x host computer plus 2x DisplayPort Monitors). Otherwise, users would just buy Apple TB monitors.

Having an HDMI port is OK, but that usually doesn't support the UHD resolutions.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Fail Again

Isn't the whole point of Thunderbolt that you can daisy-chain devices? So one cable from your computer to monitor A, then one from A to B, and from B to C. And you can add this hub somewhere along the chain I suppose.

As far as I know that's how it's supposed to work, is there some real world gotcha by any chance?

4. Nolveys
    Mushroom

It's a Belkin

The smoke and possibly fire must have been photo-shopped out of the images in the article. I understand that Belkin's quality is improving though, today over 30% of their products reach their final shipping destinations without experiencing "excessive" levels of combustion.

By the way, does anyone here know the link between Belkin and Lucas Industries? I know there must be one.

5. johnnymotel

or this version?

this is the baby to covet....

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-Thunderbolt2-Dock/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like