back to article Turn your head and cough (up your details), HealthCare.Gov has sprung a leak!

Researchers have spotted a security lapse on the healthcare.gov site that leaves users vulnerable to data harvesting. The Associated Press and the EFF report that the site is providing some personal information about visitors to third-party advertisors. According to the researchers, the healthcare.gov site provides …

1. BigFire

Yes, they are really that incompetent.

As someone whose healthcare plan only got worse and more expensive after Obamacare kicked in (I'm in California), I'm chalking this one up as pure incompetent. They can barely get the system up and running, did zero load testing, and you actually expect them to follow any semblance of privacy concern?

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Yes, they are really that incompetent.

Wait, you mean that after all his assurances the second coming in the form of president Obama didnt do what he said he would? I sit here shocked.

I do feel bad for all the people left without insurance or forced to pay more due to gov interference.

1. phil dude
        WTF?

As someone who HAS the ACA, it has been entirely misrepresented by the vested interests who were making a profit off the status quo.

I will support idea that the website is a joke - it could have been better done by a group of interns rather than the massively overpaid consultants (who might yet face problems....).

However, it gives me health insurance for $ X/month and a whole boat load of "don't worry".

I have friends who have maintenance medication that runs into the $1000/month category and who were terrified about pre-existing condition limitations. They changed the law so you cannot be denied, and maximum liability is $5300. Do you see that is a good thing?

That might have raised the rates, in addition to the 50,000,000 people who were previously not on insurance. But I don't care, and neither should you. X% of your costs were hidden because people become so desperately sick they are dumped on the ER doorstep, and now they are being factored in to the cost of the insurance.

If your insurance went up then be glad you had some, because there were *millions* who did not.

Insurance companies are not charities, go bitch at them....

The opposition party are so clearly dogmatically attached to the idea that they cannot be seen to help the president, even though what was implemented is a more strict version of their own policy. Not a stretch , huh?

And yes, Govt bureaucracy is not my favourite either, but then again neither is the greed that comes with corporate detachment. My insurance is the same company that did it before, but now there is a subsidy and all they cannot sell crap plans anymore.

Perhaps we need a "third way" that isn't PPP?

Perhaps we need politicians that don't seek to line their pockets rather than solve problems?

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

of course. what is it that's said?

The government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul?

Vested interests are STILL getting paid. Only now, there's even less available oversight. Your coverage is costing everyone else a whole lot more than if you'd taken care of it yourself.

Nevermind that, ACA provides NO actual health care. It transfers wealth to the insurance companies. Full stop.

2. Ketlan
    FAIL

What a surprise!

'HealthCare.Gov has sprung a leak!'

Cor blimey. Who'da thought it.

3. Bob Dole (tm)

Ad networks? On healthcare.gov? Seriously? WTF do the need ad revenue for? Anytime they need money they just PRINT it!

Dear god, please fire everyone even remotely related to this.

1. Mark 85

They followed the Zuckerberg model: Get cash for the details on your users?

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Ah, but there's a better solution

The site is run by a contractor. The contractor can be cited for failure to perform and lose revenue. If it's found that there is no hope for satisfactory performance, it's a fundamental breach of contract and the contract goes to the runner-up.

1. Dabooka

Re: Ah, but there's a better solution

"The site is run by a contractor. The contractor can be cited for failure to perform and lose revenue. If it's found that there is no hope for satisfactory performance, it's a fundamental breach of contract and the contract goes to the runner-up."

Ha ha ha ha etc etc.

Like that'll happen

3. vagabondo

Re: Ad networks? On healthcare.gov?

It's not much worsethan the NHS exhorting their patients to use Facebook and Twitter. My current bête noir is the NHS giving my phone number to a telephone sales company on the pretext of outsourcing appointment reminders. I'm afraid that monetization and insecure data harvesting is ingrained in all branches of what should be public service.

1. David Pollard
        Pint

Re: Ad networks? On healthcare.gov?

@vagabondo: I'd wondered why I was getting unsolicited calls on a new mobile phone when I'd only given the number to half a dozen close friends and to the NHS so they could send appointment reminders. I had assumed that their reminder texts would be generated locally from the JR hospital's recently installed booking system, but if this has been outsourced it could well explain the unwanted calls.

Pint for holding out for what 'public service' is about.

4. JakeMS

I should be surprised..

But I really am not.. not even slightest.. I read headline and my first thought was "Who would of thought that?"

Following the footsteps of the NHS it would seem :-).

5. Terry 6 Silver badge

NHS then?

This does nothing to boost my confidence in the plans for the NHS' to put all our personal details on Facebook so that the Pharmaceutical and Insurance companies can "like" it.

6. David Pollard

Good sense from the EFF

"President Obama will give his State of the Union speech tonight... If [he] is really concerned about cybersecurity, he may want to start ... by securing healthcare.gov."

Perhaps he could also find a moment to mention this problem to Dave.

7. Gis Bun

Jeez

Accenture screwed up again.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nope didn't see this coming.

and anyone who pointed out the flaws, well, were "right wing pundits who wanted to kill poor people".

Health insurance is not health care. Any health care system done incompetently is actually worse than no health care at all-because it actually IS no health care at all but a lot of expense wasted that could have been spent on actual, you know, doctors and medical treatments?

Instead of having individual state systems that could fail implementation independently, we got a monolithic charlie-foxtrot that "springs ALL the leaks!" in one convenient stop. Nevermind a "one size fits all" fits almost no one, and if anything health care has shown such philosophies are actually dangerous.

Makes bribery...err...lobbying a lot easier though, I suppose. Which is the real reason we got this mess.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

remember, people!

the exact same politicians who gave you the F35 and all it's extra engine, production delay, overpriced, underpowered, bugged software glory, gave you the ACA.

Enjoy!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like