back to article 'Our AI systems must do what we want them to do'

This week the remains of Blighty's missing Beagle 2 spacecraft, which has been out of sight for more than 11 years, was finally spotted on Mars. Despite the ex-probe having failed to deploy on the Red Planet as intended, Brit boffins hailed the mission a "great success." Being the first European space vehicle to perform a …

1. Tromos

"...Turn absolutely respects a consumer’s opt-out preference when expressed in the only way the online ad industry is sure to recognise"

To whom, exactly, is it we address the parcel of steaming turds to?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Tromos

Just get the BOFH to deliver it. With the cattle prod.

2. willi0000000

@Tromos

i think they want us to go "old school" . . . make them 'an offer they can't refuse' . . . The Godfather style.

[ . . . it seems nothing less will suffice]

2. deive

"I think we cannot allow modern forms of communication to be exempt from the ability, in extremism, with a warrant signed by the Home Secretary, to be exempt from being listened to."

If only that is what they wanted - I could get behind that as a law, only being able to monitor a specific person after having a warrant assigned by a court with enough reason to do so.

Unfortunately what they want is blanket surveillance of EVERY SINGLE PERSON 24/7/365! It makes me want to swear!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

re: EVERY SINGLE PERSON

It's not EVERY SINGLE PERSON - 650 of them are legally exempt.

Including 5 members of an organisation totally separate from, and with no possible links to, the IRA

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: re: EVERY SINGLE PERSON

"Including 5 members of an organisation totally separate from, and with no possible links to, the IRA"

That's only so no-one can prove that they were plants.

3. Alister

Glass was in its infancy, and you took those very first steps and taught us how to walk. Well, we still have some work to do, but now we’re ready to put on our big kid shoes and learn how to run.

By that, they seem to mean they'll be lacing up their running shoes and legging it as fast as possible away from this particular dead duck.

El Reg, you still seem to be completely misrepresenting the content of this story. What Google are doing is to close down the beta program, and start the process of moving it to main-stream development. This is not in any way the same as dropping Google Glass, which your coverage seems to suggest.

4. Sebastian A

That is my very clear view and if I am prime minister after the next election I will make sure we legislate accordingly.

You heard the man. Do NOT re-elect him. We need to send a signal to western leaders that we're not willing to trade privacy for some illusion of security.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Sebastian

"Do NOT re-elect him. We need to send a signal to western leaders that we're not willing to trade privacy for some illusion of security."

Elect someone else who'll do the exact same thing? That's the problem.

5. MondoMan
    Headmaster

typo in Cameron's quote

He actually said "in extremis", not "in extremism". You'd think the auto-correct feature had never heard of Greek or Latin!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like