back to article Euro SPACEMAN snaps incredible images of our Blue Planet

ESA 'naut Alexander Gerst captured some breathtaking images of Earth during his six-month stint on the International Space Station. This timelapse video brings together 12,500 photos snapped by Gerst while he was part of the Blue Dot mission from May to November this year. Youtube Video Highlights include stunning auroras, …

1. Gert Leboski

Nice

Stunning visuals and well chosen soundtrack.

1. Champ

Re: Nice

>Stunning visuals and well chosen soundtrack

Blimey. I know I'm old, but - my first reaction was "amazing imagery, but why's it been ruined with this noise playing over it?"

Pass me my jacket. The one with the Yes and Hawkwind patches on the cut-off. Ta.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Wow, that is beautiful!

Also, at about 2:00: I can see my house from here!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice. I still hold onto the dream of going into space, and images like this are what keep it alive.

4. Dcope

Low Earth Orbit

From those pictures you really get a feel for just how close they are to earth, 250 miles isnt that far when you think about it, less than half the distance from Land's End to John O'groats.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Low Earth Orbit

The "traditional" road distance is 874 odd miles - it is only 603 in a straight line though...

5. Big Minion
    Pint

Streaking object

Wow, stunning images! Did anyone notice the object streaking from just below the solar array to the upper left quadrant from 3:35 - 3:3:39? Moving at a quite a fast speed in comparason to the other bodies. Any ideas what it might have been?

1. VinceH

Re: Streaking object

I'd guess a satellite.

6. fearnothing

Now that you've pointed it out I can - it's only visible if I full-screen the video. My guess would be another satellite in a different orbit? Not really many other things it could be moving in relation to the stars the way it is.

7. Trollslayer

Humanity stands on it's collective hind legs.

Cool!

8. earl grey
    Pint

most enjoyable

Thank you sir!

9. Outcast

Stunning. Although when I watched it I didn't realise the missus had turned the sound down on the player.

I was marrying up the images to Human Leagues - "Gordons Gin" !!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like