back to article Wanna play PlayStation games but don't have a console? Samsung's got a TV for that

Buyers of select Samsung Smart TVs in the first half of 2015 will be able to play Sony PlayStation games without buying a separate console. The TVs will ship with an app that can access Sony's PlayStation Now game streaming service, which offers a library of more than 200 PlayStation 3 titles that can be played over the …

1. OrsonX
    Facepalm

...on Samsung TVs??

Surely a differentiation for Sony would have been to include it on their own TVs? Perhaps even include it for free?

That might have swayed a few undecided buyers. But now it's reversed, their rivals have it, doh!

Crazy!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...on Samsung TVs??

Just another attempt to find something, anything to convince some segment of consumers to buy a news flat panel. As for Sony televisions, they aren't a premium product anymore so Samsung isn't in the same market segment. Oh, and I'd bet there's some cash thrown their way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ...on Samsung TVs??

As for Sony televisions, they aren't a premium product anymore so Samsung isn't in the same market segment.

I am very curious: why is Samsung not in the same market segment?

And about the article - perhaps this is a more humble Sony trying to actually gain foothold for their tech by licensing it to other vendors in more favorable terms than what they used to do.

Sony has a long history of AV products that didn't propagate due to Sony being the sole vendor of the players and media (or were available from only a few other vendors). You know, things like Minidisc & Hi-MD, SACD, memorysticks, AIT, NTCassettes and such. Of course some people found MD and SACD useful or of higher fidelity than the competition but they were dead-ends from the beginning.

2. Andy Tunnah

My god...

This makes me feel old saying it...but ain't it a grand time we live in ?

In such a massively short time we've gone from text games through teletext to straight up console games through our TVs!

I'm 30 years old but I feel like my grandad in saying...ain't technology grand eh ?

1. TechnicalBen Silver badge

Re: My god...

I'm tempted to downvote for reminding me of the horrid teletext games. BBC micro spoilt me I guess.

2. P. Lee Silver badge
      Meh

Re: My god...

We've gone from the Atari TV games consoles to... Sony TV games consoles.

Perhaps I was just more easily pleased, but games in the 70's & 80's seemed to be more fun.

3. C Yates

It would be grander still if the playstation network stayed up over the holiday period...

Can't disagree though :)

3. Keef

The TV to rootkit your PC?

I'll freely admit to being a Sony cynic, and I can't really see how a TV could infect your PC.

But,that said, anything that has obvious Sony involvement that needs to be plugged in/inserted means I ain't buying it or using it. There probably is some Sony stuff in my house, but I do my best to avoid it. Checking every chip in every product isn't practical, but advertise it and I know what to avoid.

I'm really tempted to go in to a rant about all the shit Sony have pulled over the years and why I will never trust them again, but you all probably know the details so I won't.

4. Dazed and Confused Silver badge

Wanna play PlayStation games?

Well you're out of luck this merry Christmas, coz both the Playstation Network and the Xbox one seem to have decided to take Christmas day off.

Thanks guys

5. ecofeco Silver badge

This may be a very bad idea

Considering how many times the PlayStation servers keep getting hacked, I think Samsung is making a huge mistake.

6. John Tserkezis

Double decker vendor lock-in

What could prossbily go wrong?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019