back to article Heyyy, you seem to be trying to post a drunk picture You know your boss looks at this?

Facebook engineers are building a virtual assistant that might one day warn inebriated netizens against uploading embarrassing photos on the free-content ads platform. The company's one-year-old Artificial Intelligence research lab has been working on the project, according to WiReD magazine. Facebook's Yann LeCun, who leads …

1. A K Stiles
    Coat

Deep Learning

They could save themselves a lot of time and effort by just asking this for every post anyone tries to make?

Or they could look at licencing 'Clippy' from Microsoft - "Hey it looks like you're trying to post in English, would you like some help with that?"

1. swschrad

Clippy is my Zero.

"Hi, it looks like you are trying to get fired and scuttle all chance of acquittal in court by posting a picture. Do you need help with that?"

2. Peb

re Seriously, though, who in their right mind would allow their manager and mum to befriend them on Facebook?

Well its a bit late to 'friend' my mum, but seeing as she was a big fan of the internet* I'm sure it would have happened (if Facebook was around then!)

As it is, I'm 'friends' with my Wife, son and a-n-other (this does tend to concentrate the mind when posting)

( * she had one of those Internet enabled TV's. Yes, someone did buy one)

3. tony2heads
    Pint

"tired and emotional" is the more common euphemism

icon: what else!

4. Eric Olson

Mother yes...

Boss... only after I've left the company on good terms, he/she was sad to see me leave, and they might provide an impeccable reference/great drinking buddy in the future. I often treat co-workers the same way.

Frankly, I'm not the type who posts or gets tagged in self-incriminating information on Facebook, though it might have been different if I was still 19 and going to college. And while my parents (and much of the rest of my family) do currently live close by, it's helpful when I'm traveling... and I'm pretty sure they will be even more interested in current events soon.

In-laws are another matter....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hm. My boss is in my Facebook friends, I think.

6. mhoulden
    Flame

Personally I'd like something that pops up a warning, "Caution: what you are about to post is an urban myth/has been stolen by an obscure radio station desperate to boost its profile/is a cheesy motivational homily that will make people on your friends list feel nauseous. Do you wish to continue?" At least when these things did the rounds by email people had to put in a bit more effort.

7. asdf
    WTF?

only a millenial

Who the hell logs into Facebook (could end comment there) being 3 sheets to the wind? That even tops drunk dialing an ex at 3 in the morning on the loser scale.

1. Not also known as SC
      Meh

Re: only a millenial

And if you're drunk enough to post an inappropriate picture, won't you be just as drunk enough to ignore the warning and just click ok?

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Reminds me of that other saying . . .

Make a fool-proof system and Mother Nature will make a better fool.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like