back to article Cops accessing journo sources with RIPA? Use your powers properly, moan MPs

MPs calling on an overhaul of the eight-year-old communications data guidance for UK cops and spooks who use snooping measures have accused the Tory-led government of missing its own review target. The Home Office rebutted the criticism this morning by promising to publish a revised RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"not fit for purpose"

RIPA or the MPs that voted for it and have only just realised how draconian it is?

2. JustWondering

Maybe ...

A more cynical person than I might think the police and politicians want to know who is blowing the whistle on their own good selves.

Whatever happened to, "If you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"?

1. kainp121

Re: Maybe ...

more like if you find some thing out you better run for the hills. Knowing about corruption is some thing you want to hide unless you want a target on your back.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIPA is obviously flat out unlawful and not a valid contract 'law'!

I doesn't matter if this is over commercial services, this is data created by living human beings; so just assuming contractual terms, especially secret ones, is a massive vague piss take, plain unlawful and outside contracts agreed by /properly informed/ living human beings!

To put it bluntly, if a contract does not meet the four basic contract requirements and living human beings have not been explicitly informed of ALL terms in the body of the contract they agreed to (did they?), that contract can be declared null and void e.g. most of the legal so-called law!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RIPA is obviously flat out unlawful and not a valid contract 'law'!

Good god, even El Reg is being infected by Freeman On The Land bollocks now...

1. Ben Tasker

Good god, even El Reg is being infected by Freeman On The Land bollocks now...

Yup, there was a particularly amusing one in the comments of an Orlowski article the other day, sadly it seems a mod has deleted it now, but twas quite a verbose bit of twattery which made me chuckle

2. Gordon 10

Why on earth do you think a criminal investigation has anything to do contract law? you gibbering commentary.

1. Ben Tasker

It's the same mindset that believes that a Statute is in fact an invitation (by the state) to each and every one of us to enter into a binding contract. Reject that contract and the law no longer applies to you (apparently), funnily enough it seems to be of most use (apart from the fact it fails) when attempting escape debts, fines etc.

A court summons is an invitation, the word 'must' in law actually means 'may'. In fact if a judge asks you whether you understand, it's apparently a sneaky way of getting you to accept the contract.

It's all bollocks, but can be quite amusing to look into - there are a few videos kicking about of 'Freemen' in court, with their behaviour getting the treatment it warrants.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the Police State

Journalists and their sources are monitored by the police and

surveillance teams, unchecked and unashamed. This is a disgrace in what is supposed to be one of the founding countries of democracy.

The government should hang it's head in shame, but the corrupt and power hungry elite have no shame.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Welcome to the Police State

You're absolutely right, but it never ceases to amaze me, the number of people who spout the 'if you've nothing to hide...' bollocks. I never thought I would find myself agreeing with Keith Vaz, but I do on this one.

5. Martin Milan

So predictable...

What troubles me most in all this is that there is no accountability for the officers who have misused RIPA for tracking journalistic sources. Naughty boys and girls of course as goes without saying, but noone's taken any action to suggest that misusing the law will have consequences (and it won't) - so there is no deterrence.

When people start losing jobs, other people will start listening...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LIST ALL THE WAYS YOU WOULD RUN THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY IF YOU WERE IN POWER, BELOW.

AND YOUR IDEAS WILL BE MAGICALLY TURNED INTO NEW LAWS AND FREEDOMS>>>>>GO ON ITS NICE TO HAVE AN OPINION>

PS: Banning Caps Lock cannot be one of them!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: LIST ALL THE WAYS YOU WOULD RUN THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY IF YOU WERE IN POWER, BELOW.

Very well. Please see here for the rules which would govern my governance of the world.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
        Thumb Up

Re: LIST ALL THE WAYS YOU WOULD RUN THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY IF YOU WERE IN POWER, BELOW.

Upvote for this. I'm, ashamed to admit that I wasn't aware of the complete contents of the Declaration until now. All decent obvious and desirable stuff, but Jeez, we've still got some work to do.

7. Red Bren
    Pint

Define "Measures"

"There are measures in place to ensure that police powers to access this data are not abused." said security minister James Brokenshire. His words would be a little more reassuring if he explained what these measures are, along with examples of when they have been used. Otherwise, based on previous failures of the establishment to regulate itself, it's reasonable to assume the penalty for being caught abusing these powers is to buy the first round of drinks at the secret policemen's ball. And the measures are trebles all round.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"We are concerned"

Better late than never.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon